Episode 18: Half-Year Resolutions
Hey there! Thanks so much for joining us for Episode 18! If you’re a new listener, welcome! And of course, if you’re a returning listener, thanks for hanging out with us again! We hope you love this episode, and please don’t forget to leave comments on the Ravelry thread for this episode to be entered into the Half-Year Resolutions contest!
Thanks so much to this episode’s sponsor, Cakewalk Yarns! Cakewalk Yarns – Delicious Hand Dyed Yarn Treats. Cakewalk Yarns carries premium merino yarns, ranging from lace weight to aran. Our yarns are hand painted in a rainbow of variegated and tonal colorways – and our house specialty – speckled sock yarns. During August, Just One More Row listeners will receive a 10% discount by using the coupon code JOMR10 during checkout. Cakewalk Yarns hand-dyed yarns and patterns are sold exclusively on Etsy.com.
On The Needles/Bobbins/Spindles:
Dana: Stripey Tomato, Spunky Eclectic Merino/Yak in Cockstand on her new Bosworth Midi spindle, silk hankies by Moonwood Farms on Suzie, BeeMiceElf Room With A View Polwarth on LGII
Brittany: Handspun Socks using Smoothie Rambouillet handspun
Dana: Blue Sparkle nply (82yds), FatCatKnits Hocus Pocus Merino nply (156yds), Dancing In The Sun Socks, Larch Shawlette
Brittany: Traveling Woman, Miss Scarlett Batt (140yds), Gales Art BFL Swirl n-ply (194yds)
New In The Queue:
Dana: any pattern by Betsy Farquhar (Stem and Leaf Cowl, Owlie Owl Cowl, Owlie Mittens!), all are paid and available for download on her Etsy shop for $5 each, or $13 for any 3 patterns
Brittany: Damask by Kitman Figueroa ($5 download on Ravelry)
If I Was A Rich Girl:
Dana: InSpinIty Lace Blocking wires (much more flexible than the ones I own from KnitPicks!)- $29.95 (first heard about these on The Knit Girllls)
Brittany: Connie Chang Chinchio’s new book, Textured Stitches
Review/Discussion: A Half-Year Review
Brittany’s goals: more sweaters!, learn entrelac, at least 6 socks, make *something* with handspun, cold sheeping
What Brittany’s done so far:
- sweaters? HA.
- entrelac? yes, made entrelac scarf
- 6 socks? knit 4, two in progress right now
- something with handspun? mitts, hat, socks in progress
- cold sheeping? eh, better than expected, but could do better, especially now that I spin
- my goal for the second half of the year is to finish a summer sweater (casting on Buttercup again), make a Candy-Striped Raglan Sweater (out of her Noro Silk Garden and her Dream In Color Classy in Chinatown Apple), Jaywalker Socks and vanilla socks (Dana mentions Crosswalkers). I hope to spin more in the second half of the year, and use the skills I learned during the Tour de Fleece to motivate me to spin different things.
Dana’s goals: more socks! sweaters!, take on more challenging projects instead of everything being quick-knit stuff, knit down more of the stash, stop buying yarn without a purpose in mind.
What Dana’s done so far:
- 9 pairs of socks!!!
- started 2 sweaters (well Garter Yoke was started in December ‘10 but I’m counting it!), haven’t finished either of them.
- finished Sock History Wallhanging: something I’m really really proud of.
- learned how to weave and wove 3 scarves (4th is on the loom right now!) plus 2 dishtowels
- knit 3 shawls
- cold sheeping? Well I’ve bought 3 skeins of Wollmeise… and some other sock yarn… and the yarn for my Stripey Tomato… oops.
- overall I’ve knit 28 projects and wove 3 projects… my numbers definitely could be better. I’ve knit 6.42 miles and spun 7.05 miles so far this year. I hope to get to 15 miles of spinning and 12 miles of knitting by the end of this year… we’ll see!
- my goal for the second half of the year is to actually stick to the goals I made at the beginning of the year. I want to do some colorwork (been craving it a lot lately) and I want to make the Acer Cardigan specifically. The Sarah Rose cardigan might have to get made too (thanks to a listener for gifting it to me and B!!!). This year the Tour de Fleece taught me that I am setting my goals too low because I achieved way more than I thought I could. (mentions Bristlecone Artisan Heirlooms- home of the Glindle spindle! HERE is a link to a picture of Dana’s Glindle!)
- SAFF is October 21-23 in Asheville NC. Signups for classes are still open if you want to take one- not all of them are full!
- Fiber in the ‘Boro is October 29 in Murfreesboro TN- and Dana is vending!
Prize drawing winner for July’s Donation Incentive is love2knit! Congratulations!!! Please get in touch with Dana so she can mail your prize to you!
- This month’s contest is a Half-Year Resolutions contest: please leave us a comment in the episode thread on Ravelry (or on this blog post if you aren’t on Ravelry) and tell us about your resolution progress, what your goals were, if you’ve achieved them, and what you plan to do with the rest of the year. Each individual that posts a comment gets one entry (just one per person), so please feel free to comment on each others’ posts! We look forward to reading them and discussing with you guys! Here’s the prize for this contest:
Dana on Ravelry: craftygirl83
Brittany on Ravelry: brittanylaine
Our group on Ravelry: Just One More Row Podcast Fans
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter: @justonemorerow