Episode 23: Dye-licious!
Hello and welcome to the 23rd episode of Just One More Row!
Today’s episode is brought to you by Unwind Yarn Company. At Unwind Yarn Company we specialize in beautiful handdyed semisolid and kettle dyed colorways. We carry a variety of spinning fibers, from the beginner-friendly corriedale cross and the luscious tweedy effects of swirl BFL, to the smoothness of Falkland and the poofiness of Polwarth- we’ve got something for everyone! We specialize in both workhorse and luxurious sock yarns, too. During the month of October, Just One More Row Podcast listeners save 15% on their purchase by entering JOMR1011 in the coupon code box at checkout. And if you’re going to be at Fiber In The Boro in Murfreesboro TN on October 29, be sure to stop by the Unwind Yarn Company booth to say hi!
Unwind Yarn Company yarns are available on Etsy.com and at select local yarn stores.
On the Needles/Bobbins:
Dana: Iced, Somebody’s Christmas Socks, Technicolor Drake Socks, BFF Socks
Brittany: Candy Stripe Raglan (mentions Try It On Tubing)
Dana: View From My Front Porch Hat, Through The Woods Hat; Corgi Hill Farm Heather Thick/Thin 2ply art yarn, Unwind Yarn Company Sugar Maple Swirl BFL 2ply (Dana got her Sidekick!! She got it from HippieChixFiber on Etsy, and raves about the customer service!)
Brittany: Wildflowers 2ply, 2oz Unwind Yarn Company Kaleidoscope batt (Brittany is borrowing a friend’s Kromski Symphony)
New in the Queue:
Dana: Snape’s Stockings by Erica Lueder (free on Ravelry)
Brittany: Scallop Lace Hat by Leah Coccari-Swift (free on Ravelry) (Brittany mentions the KnitCents podcast and winning a skein of KnitPicks Capra in a contest by that podcast)
Discussion: How Dana Got Started Dyeing
1. don’t buy a ton of dyes or bases until you’re sure you want to do a lot of dyeing. The setup is the most expensive part.
2. use separate pots/pans for dyeing than you do for preparing food, even if the dyes you use say “food safe”. The oils/chemicals used on the yarns/fibers might NOT be food safe, even if the dyes are.
3. Dana uses Jacquard dyes, and all you really need to mix any color you want are the primaries (sun yellow, cherry red, sky blue). You might want to pick up a color wheel too, just to have handy. (mentions the Jacquard Starter Set on Knitpicks)
4. Test your dyes on a paper towel before applying to yarn/fiber. Once dye is set it’s almost impossible to remove, so it’s better to make mistakes on a paper towel than on a skein and have to overdye it.
5. if you plan to sell your yarns/fibers, (in Dana’s opinion) do NOT dye with vinegar. It stinks! Use citric acid instead.
6. Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece: Custom-Color Your Favorite Fibers with Dip-Dyeing, Hand-Painting, Tie-Dyeing, and Other Creative Techniques by Gail Callahan is a great resource. So is Color in Spinning by Deb Menz.
7. don’t be surprised if a dyer refuses to tell you where they buy their yarn/fibers. That’s proprietary information to a lot of dyers and that’s a big deal to some and not as big a deal to others. Just be prepared to be met with resistance if you start asking questions of that nature.
8. there are lots of great groups on Ravelry that are centered around dyeing yarns/fibers. Some of the ones Dana found by doing a search for “dyeing” on Ravelry include: What A Kool Way To Dye (kool-aid dyeing), Plants to Dye For (info on plants for natural dyeing), Natural Dyeing (self-explanatory), Inspired Dyeing (inspiration for dye colors) (these are all on the first page only!). Here’s a link to the search Dana did.
If you’ve bought something from Dana’s shop, she’d love it if you’d show what you’ve done with your purchase in her Ravelry group! Thank you!
- SAFF is October 21-23 in Asheville NC. Our meetup will be held at the Fibro Fibers booth (booth 41 in the Sales Arena) on Saturday October 22 at 12:30pm. Be sure to stop by for a goodie and a hug/hi-5!
- Fiber in the ‘Boro is October 29 in Murfreesboro TN- and Dana is vending! She is sharing a booth with Lori (aka flutterbys on Ravelry), who has a wonderful new Etsy store, Deerfield Creations! She makes polymer clay stitch markers, WPI gauges, spindles, and lovely spindle bags and learn-to-spin kits! Dana will be bringing yarn, fiber, and handspun. We’d love to see you there!!
- Don’t forget to look through the Time On My Hands eBook and pick out your favorite pattern, and tell us why you love it on Episode 22’s thread on Ravelry or on the blog entry! We’ll be drawing for a free copy of the eBook at the end of the month!
- Dana and her fiancee are going to Sanibel Island in Florida for their honeymoon! Thanks so much to everyone who responded to Dana with ideas for honeymoon locations; thanks to you, she now has vacation ideas for the next 10 years!
- Big shout-out and a huge thank you to Laura & Leslie of The Knit Girllls, Dawn & Nicole of Wolfe Farms, and Jenny & Nicole of Stash & Burn for their mentions lately! Thank you ladies- we love you!!!
Dana on Ravelry: craftygirl83
Brittany on Ravelry: brittanylaine
Our group on Ravelry: Just One More Row Podcast Fans
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter: @justonemorerow