Episode 43: Yipes Stripes!
This episode is sponsored by Hiwassee Creek Dyeworks.
Hiwassee Creek Dyeworks brings you FUN and SASSY Self Striping yarns and much more! Over the next several months we will have “Super Smash Down”, a rather rowdy bunch, in the shop and they are just “dyeing” to bounce right through your door and into your stash! So what are you waiting for? Drop by and treat yourself to a little fibery fun today at http://HiwasseeCreekDyework.etsy.com.
Dana: Faded Graffiti Shortie Socks, Chris’s Bowser Socks, Fruit Loops Socks, “Faded Binding” peruvian wool from The First Draft (135yds), Nordic Waters Falkland from Edgewood Garden Studios (204yds), SDSpin Falkland 1 (287yds), Tortoiseshell Merino/Silk from Paper & Yarn (379yds)
If I Was A Rich Girl:
Dana: Strauch Finest Doublewide carder ($1080 retail)
Brittany: supported spindle
Review: Contemporary Irish Knits by Carol Feller- approximately $16.49 on Amazon
- how to measure yourself and where
- section about 3 different mills (actual pictures of inside)
- patterns in that section are used with those mills’ yarn
- section on irish hand dyers (including hedgehog fibers)
- large technique section in back
- substitution recommendations if you can’t get the irish yarns in different price ranges
Dana: Finished 11 ½ pair of socks (counting 3 shop sample single socks), 6747yds out of 12000 so far, finished 1 WIP (Rainforest Shawlette), spun 121oz of fiber (8079yds)
Brittany: Previous Goals- Candy Stripe Raglan, Linen Stitch Scarf, Herringbone Cowl
at least 6 socks
Cold sheeping? HAHAHAHA
- Contest for Hiwassee Creek Dyeworks variegated yarn in “Princess Peach”- what’s your favorite video game? Can be something contemporary, or something old-school.
Leave a comment in Episode 43’s thread on the Ravelry board with your response. You must be a member of the group to win. The thread will be locked on 8/29 midnight central time.
- Self Striping KAL is going well! So far we have a colorway of your choice from Friday Studios, and a skein from Hiwassee Creek, and we are still working on a few more prizes. We’ll be posting them at the top of the FO thread in the group for everyone to see.
- Thanks to Hiwassee Creek for sponsoring the show this month! Her prices are going up on September 1, so if you want to get something at the older price, now is a great chance! Also, there is a 10% off coupon code in the self-striping dyers thread in the group.
- Other dyers have also provided us with codes, so go check it out!
- Dana is having a 15% off sale in her Etsy shop through 8/22 at midnight EST. Just enter code AUG12 in the coupon code box to save!
- Dana, along with Sarah of Another Crafty Girl, would like to announce that they are getting ready to open signups for round 2 of the 2 Crafty Girls yarn club! This time, the theme will be Kevin Bacon Movie Night! There will be 50 spots available, and US spots will be $116 including shipping and swag, and international spots will be $132 including shipping and swag. The club will run October-January, and 2 months will have swag in the packages! There will be a thread open on the 2 Crafty Girls group on Ravelry soon, asking the all-important question: What Kevin Bacon movies would you like to see us do? We’d love your input! Signups will again be via lottery system, and will open on August 29 and close on September 12. Billing will occur on or before September 15, and payment will be due on or before September 30. Please join the group if you haven’t already, and be sure to check the boards regularly for more information as we have it available. We hope you’ll consider joining us for this round!