Episode 52: No-Guilt Goals
Thank you for listening to Episode 52 of Just One More Row! This episode is sponsored by the Dallas Fort Worth Fiber Fest.
Does your New Year’s resolution involve taking fiber related classes or attending a fiber festival? If so, DFW Fiber Fest has a wonderful line up of Nationally and Locally recognized teachers in knitting, spinning, crochet, and other fiber arts. Come take a class with Gwen Bortner, Shannon Mullett-Bowlsby of Shibaguyz Designz, Beth Smith from the Spinning Loft and lots of other wonderful instructors with classes for all levels of experience. Franklin Habit is our featured Friday night speaker and tickets for that event will go on sale in March. DFW Fiber Fest is held April 5-7, 2013 in Grapevine, TX. Sign up soon for best class selection! You can find our website at dfwfiberfest.org.
On The Needles/Bobbins:
Dana: Breaking Hearts Socks, Acer Cardigan, Fenton Mixed BFL (sweater spin!) on mS, cormo on Suzie, finished singles (Bridget the Magnificent) waiting to nply
Brittany: Crazy Neon Stripey Socks, Crooked Paths
New In The Queue: – we did our semiannual queue culling!
Dana: Less is More by Amy King (free on Knitty), Nalu Mitts by Leila Raabe (free Ravelry download), Stargazing Cowl by Heather Monroe Kinne ($1.99 Ravelry download)
Brittany: Ephemera Mittens by Amy Christoffers (free Ravelry download), Olive Basket Sweater by Amy Miller ($6 Ravelry download)
Our 2013 Goals:
Britt’s 2013 Goals:
- Coldsheep until KY fiber festival in May. Yes, 5 months with no yarn buying! Then, cold sheep again until SSK.
- Finish my WIPS. No, really this time. Stop laughing.
- Knit more than I did in 2012 (5732 yds)
- Knit at least 2 sweaters
- Focus on one skein projects that aren’t socks
Dana’s 2013 Goals:
- Finish the following WIPs: Wanda Nell, Honeymoon Socks, Campus Jacket, Neely O’Hara, Chickadee Love Mittens, Wildflower Monkeys, Ka’ana (just by finishing all of these, I’ll have 4065yds knit in 2013!!)
- knit at least 14000yds in 2013
- knit at least 3 more sweaters in 2013, at least (right now I’m leaning toward the Bailey Cardigan for the SSK #2 KAL, Less Is More by Amy King out of handspun, and I’m going to get back to the Rocky Coast Cardigan)
- finish the “Brown Bagging It” KAL- at least 6 months’ worth, and bonus points if I accomplish more!
- spin at least 16oz a month… preferably 20oz… for a total of 12lb for the year (hopefully 15lb!).
- no buying fiber until KY! (clubs aren’t included, and I’m in 2)
- try the following techniques: unsupported long draw, more art yarn techiques from Spin Art like corespinning (I already know how but need to get better!) and autowrapping.
- spin for at least 2 sweaters.
- introduce 2 more yarn bases
- introduce 3 more fiber bases
- try to stay ahead on my shop updates instead of having to get them ready right before they go live
- make a color cards page on my blog so I can have all of my repeatable colorways in one location
- come up with at least 3 new colorways a month
- stay ahead of holiday colorways by at least 2 months
- Another Crafty Girl drawing: for Jemaine Strong Sock: #19 Kuntzknit! for Kris Kringle Merino Worsted: #9 dieborl! Please get in contact with Dana!
- Brown Bagging It KAL has started! There is a thread on the group if you want to post pictures or chat, and please tag your projects “bbkal2013”.
- Round 3 of the 2 Crafty Girls Yarn Club is starting up! Signups run January 2-12 and the club runs from Feb-Mar, with Feb being UYC shipment and Mar being ACG shipment. The theme is Art History, and the cost is $54 for US members and $62 for international members (which includes 2 skeins of 80% superwash merino/20% nylon, 400yd skeins of sock yarn, plus shipping). You can find out more about the club and see pictures of previous colorways done for club members in the group, and we hope you’ll join us!!!
- Thank you so much to the DFW Fiber Fest for sponsoring the podcast this month!
- Thank you so much to the listeners who left us new iTunes reviews! They really made our day!