Episode 68: Little Butts
Thank you for joining us for Episode 68! For the month of September, we are proud to be sponsored by Tangerine Designs.
Accessories for the Fiber Lover are the focus at Tangerine Designs. From Project bags, needle gauges, WPI Tools to all sorts of Fiber Flair!Project bags come in fun fabric combinations-sometimes Geekery!-with no exposed seams!
Tangerine Designs bags also come equipped with a cord lock to keep your project secure and a side clip for storing stitch markers, clipping to other bags, or attaching to a belt loop for on-the-go knitting. Find the newest project bag Shop updates on every other Sunday at 7 p.m. Central. For those in the St. Louis area, come see Tangerine Designs on September 28-29 at the StrangeFolk Festival in O’Fallon, IL. For the latest news, visit Tangerine-Designs.com !
On The Needles/Bobbins/Spindles:
Dana: Dogwood blanket, Catamaran handspun socks, Bad Oyster, ITW BFL in “Sansa” on Hansen, punta on Suzie, Hobbledehoy battlings on charkha (HilltopCloud on Etsy- SAL fiber for the Yarnraising SAL)
Brittany: Ginkgo Crescent Shawlette in my handspun from River’s Edge Fiber Arts, Amity Island socks from Hiwassee Creek Dyeworks, Magnolia merino from FatCatKnits.
Dana: Brickless in Unwind Wanderlust Worsted in Tidepool colorway, Tailspinner butterscotch yarn (264yds of sportweight)
Brittany: Brickless in Miss Babs Shaken Not Stirred colorway.
New in the Queue:
Dana: Flora by Margaux Hufnagel (free Ravelry download), Dry Creek Cardigan by Julianna Lund ($6.00 Ravelry download), Scant by Lee Meredith (free Ravelry download, brought to our attention by PrairiePoppins)
Brittany: Babbling by Sierra Anderson ($6.50 Ravelry download), Quaker Yarn Stretcher by Susan Ashcroft (3.00 Euros, around $4.07US Ravelry download), Rolling Rock by Thea Colman ($6.50 Ravelry download)
If I Was A Rich Girl:
Dana: Mitten blockers from Succaplokki ($27.50 plus shipping)
Brittany: Cross stitch patterns! Quite a few on etsy that I love. Steotch is a popular one- takes very traditional sampler patterns and combines pop culture/internet memes.
Just One More Craft!
Dana: The Frosted Pumpkin cross stitch- Woodland Sampler (Qsnap frame, WeeLittleStitches Shop)
Brittany: The Frosted Pumpkin cross stitch. Obsessed with these “kawaii” cross stitch pattern. Currently working on Halloween Sampler.
Discussion: Homeward Bound: Why Women Are Embracing the New Domesticity by Emily Matchar ($11.89 Kindle, $18.09 Hardcover)
- the idea of domesticity as an antidote to anxiety and relying too much on a consumerist culture (“New Domesticity is the re-embrace of home and hearth by those who have the means to reject these things.” “Some see themselves as part of what historians and sociologists are calling the “reskilling movement”- which is aimed at restoring prestige to historically devalued traditional arts and skills.”)
- resurgence of domesticity in the late 1990s with the Riot Grrrrl movement in the Pacific Northwest- became a social statement for younger women (and men!) to do handwork
- how blogging contributed to the rise of domesticity (pictures say it all), and how Ravelry led to the death of the knitting blog
- goes in-depth about Etsy and how it changed the nature of selling handmade goods online (has created an unsustainable bubble in the craft world- hobbyists vs. businesspeople who are trying to make a living)
- urge to make something- “tech saturated world”
- Why did we start to knit?
- Prize giveaway for FatCatKnits fiber- Falkland in the colorway of your choosing- from #2-141: #98, Radost, who loves Dragonfly! We’ll put you in contact with Ginny! (and thank you so much to Ginny for the prize!!)
- Dana’s store has moved to a new location! You can find it at unwindyarncompany.com. She is offering 15% off any purchase through midnight ET on 9/30 with coupon code NEWSHOPYEA, even sweater quantity preorders.
- We are up to 1395 members as of tonight! When we hit 1500, we are going to do another prize-a-palooza, so if you haven’t joined the group now is a good time!
- Preorders for Just One More Row project bags from Tangerine Designs! Starting at the beginning of October, 20-25 bags available to start with, exclusive JOMR fabric designed by Beck Gusler with cute lining fabric (Casey’s choice). Shipped by the end of October.
- Hiwassee Creek Dyeworks has moved her shop to hiwasseecreekdyeworks.com