Episode 25: If I Were A Holiday Rich Girl
Hey everyone, thanks for listening to episode 25! In this episode, segments include What’s On Our Needles/Bobbins, FO’s/Yarns, New in the Queue, an extended holiday edition Rich Girl, and a reminder about our contest from Everything Old!
This month, our show is sponsored by Everything Old! Please check out her shop and find something that you love.
At Everything Old, we love colour! From our juicy layered semi-solids and brilliant hand-paints to our eye-catching tie-dyes, we are inspired by everything from video games to the natural splendour of our home in beautiful British Columbia, Canada. Find our fantastic colours on several luxurious yarn bases ranging from lace to DK weight, with a focus on versatile sock yarns. We also carry spinning fibre! We stock small batches of as many different wools, blends, and luxury fibres as we can get our hands on, all in attractive, unique colourways, for the adventurous spinner who wants to try them all. And coming this holiday season: batts! At Everything Old you can also find fantastic handmade project bags, stitch markers, and original patterns. We have everything you need to get your fibre fix! Visit Everything Old on Artfire!
Just a reminder that this month, we have a prize from Everything Old to give away! This is a skein of her TrueBlue sock yarn (80% superwash BFL/20% nylon, 435yds/100g) in the colorway Mad Mallard.
If you would like to win, listen to episode 24 on how to enter!
On The Needles/Bobbins:
Dana: Chris’s Starry Night Christmas Socks 2011, Ultramarine merino/tussah from Unwind Yarn Company on Suzie, still working on the Superman merino/tussah from Gnomespun on the Spanish Peacock Russian
Brittany: Candy Striped Raglan
Dana: Mom’s Technicolor Drake Socks, Brittany’s Top-Secret Christmas Present 2011, UYC/Miss Babs Abalone/Damson Swirl BFL (288 yds) (mentions The Wooden Spinner and her new red oak skeinwinder!)
Brittany: Mare Vitalis Merino/Silk- 3 ply (fingering, 296 yards), Mom’s Christmas Socks
New In The Queue:
Dana: Turbulence Cowl by Laura Chau ($5.00CAD on Ravelry), Podster Gloves by Glenna C (free), Shellseeker by Heidi Kirrmaier ($6.53 on Rav / $6.50 CAD)
Brittany: Regina by Carina Spencer (free download), Baby Norgi by Wendy Johnson (free on Knitty), talks about looking for a chart for Chris’ christmas stocking
Holiday Knitting: How We Do It
Dana: I like to start as early as possible, and only knit for EXTREMELY close friends and family. I talk about how I determine whether someone is knitworthy.
Brittany: Usually only knit for family and a few friends, maybe. Mom, brothers, husband- that’s it. Simple projects are better because they can be worked on everywhere.
Our Christmas Wish List:
Dana: Signature size US2 dpns, Alice Starmore’s Charts for Color Knitting: New and Expanded Edition, Adobe Photoshop Elements 10
Gifts For The Knitter/Spinner In Your Life:
1. InSpinIty Blocking Wires ($29.95) (we have a set of these and LOVE them! be sure to listen to the episode for our complete review!)
2. Namaste Knitting Bag (Zuma is $69, Monroe is $75, Laguna is $79- all prices from Jimmy Beans Wool)
3. membership to a yarn/fiber club: Cloudlover yarn club, Cloudlover fiber club, Cookie A sock club, Blue Moon Fiber Arts Rockin’ Sock Club, Dyebolical fiber club, BeeMiceElf fiber club, Loop bullseye bump club
4. FBN Plastics spinning wheel cup holder ($25)
5. project bags from Everything Old, Erin.Lane, The Silver Pumpkin, Knittings My Bag
6. knit/purl bookends from Knitpicks ($48)
7. Woolee Winder ($225 for flyer and one bobbin, each additional bobbin is $39)
8. Lucy Neatby dvd set ($30.79 each on Amazon, titles include Knitting Essentials 1, Knitting Essentials 2, Knitting Gems 1, Knitting Gems 2, Knitting Gems 3, Knitting Gems 4, Sock Techniques 1, Knitting Sock Techniques 2, The Brand New Knitter)
9. Classes from your LYS if you have one (varies based on class)
10. A sweater’s worth of really nice yarn (varies based on fiber and amount needed… be specific with your SO or family if you ask for this!)
And a last thought: a lot of yarn stores have gift registries, so you might want to check with your LYS to see if they offer this service, or suggest it to them if they don’t! This will guarantee that you get exactly what you want if you send a family member or friend to the store to buy you a present! 🙂
- Contest still going on to win the EverythingOld TrueBlue sock in Mad Mallard!
- Thanks so much to our 2 podcast donators! You guys are so amazing!
- If you haven’t done an iTunes review/star rating yet, we’d love it if you’d do it! It helps us pop up in searches on iTunes for knitting podcasts.
- If you’re hearing about us from another podcast, please let us know who recommended us! We’d love to thank that podcaster. 🙂