Episode 30: Still Obsessing Over Socks
Hello and welcome to episode 30 of Just One More Row! In this episode we talk about what’s on our needles and bobbins, FO’s, New in the Queue, Rich Girl, and a discussion of Socktopus by Alice Yu.
Cakewalk Yarns – Delicious Hand Dyed Yarn Treats. Cakewalk Yarns carries premium merino yarns; ranging from lace weight to aran. Our yarns are hand painted in a rainbow of variegated and tonal colorways – and our house specialty – speckled sock yarns. During February, Just One More Row listeners will receive a 10% discount by using the coupon code mentioned in the episode during checkout.
Cakewalk Yarns hand-dyed yarns and patterns are sold exclusively on Etsy.com.
Thanks for listening!
Dana: V Junkie sock, Toe-up Anu sock, Acer Cardi, Romney laceweight singles
Dana: Loop Nply yarn 244yds, Pigeonroof Studios Merino in Starflower thick/thin singles (x2) 274yds in Skein 1 & 256yds in Skein 2, BeeMiceElf Space Invaders merino 204yds, Panther Creek polwarth 166yds
Dana: Gramps by tincanknits ($6 download on Ravelry)
Dana: Spin Art by Jacey Boggs(~$17.79 on Amazon)
Brittany: Lollipop Yarn self-striping yarn
Dana: I honestly can’t think of a single pattern I don’t want to knit. I’m currently knitting “V Junkie” and the pattern is clear, well-written, and has great pictures that show the detail. There are lots of technique sections scattered throughout the book, and it really explains some of the trickier techniques used in the patterns in greater detail (with great clear pictures too!). The other thing I love about this book is that every pattern is knit with a handpainted indie dyed yarn (from the designer’s own line of yarns) so you can pretty much guess how handpainted yarns are going to behave in each pattern before testing it out yourself.
Brittany: I love the project gallery at the beginning. All the yarn used is very pretty and never overwhelms the patterns. She talk about the fibers that go into socks (including a brief lesson on common sheep breeds). Also, the behaviors of different ply structures (2,3,4,6,9) with clear pictures of the swatches.
– A short blurb about why she named the pattern/ design inspiration (love!)
-Large, clear charts
-tutorials for new techniques interspersed as you use them
-variety of techniques that seem to get harder as you get further into the book.
- Dana is vending Super Summer KnitTogether! 🙂 June 30 is the vendor market, open to the public for a $5 entry fee. Details to come!
- Thanks to our sponsor Cakewalk Yarns!
- Episode 144: Purple Princess Trees
- Episode 143: Misplaced Mojo
- Episode 142: Got Any Tasty Carrots?
- Episode 141: Heart On My Sleeve Giveaway!
- Episode 140: Better Living Through Pinterest
- Episode 139: And YOU Win A Prize!
- Episode 138: IS IT CHRISTMAS YET???
- Episode 137: First Pancake Sweaters
- Episode 136: HAM and RAPs
- Errnaments KAL and SAFF Travel Plans