Episode 65: Mid Year Update
Thank you for joining us for episode 65 of Just One More Row! For the month of July, we are proud to be sponsored by Hiwassee Creek Dyeworks.
Hiwassee Creek Dyeworks is an online yarn shop located in the beautiful Tennessee Valley. Drop in and check out our FUN and SASSY self striping yarns for summer and enjoy 15% off of your purchase using the coupon code mentioned in the episode! http://www.etsy.com/shop/HiwasseeCreekDyework
On The Needles/Bobbins/Spindles:
Dana: SSK Socks, Age of Brass and Steam, Molly, Winnie Socks,Nest Fiber Studios “Nestlets” on Hansen (finished 2 bobbins and started on 3rd), Edgewood Garden Studios “Visionary Dream” BFL on Suzie
Brittany: Free & Easy Stripey Socks, Ginkgo Crescent Shawlette
Dana: Residual Boulders Hitchhiker, Moonshine Fiber Co. Amazeballs 2ply (232yds bulky), Juliet’s Tomb BFL (234yds worsted)
Brittany: Fall Break Keepsake cable ply from Unwind Yarn Company (152 yards), Knitabulls Into The Whirled Spinalong “Lavinia” (330 yards). Brittany mentions The Spinner’s Book of Yarn Designs
New in the Queue: Handspun projects for that TdF-produced yarn!!
Dana: Simplicity Lace Shawl by Megan Rees (free Rav download), Zilver by Lisa Mutch (free Rav download), Bark & Twig Stole by Anna Cohen ($5.50 Rav download), Furrow To The Plow by Rebecca Marsh (free Rav download), September Circle by Melissa Lebarre ($6 Rav download, Dana’s favorite of the FOs), Milo by Georgie Hallam ($5AU Ravelry download)
Brittany: Emanuelle Sweater from the new Knit Scene, Fall 2013
If I Was A Rich Girl:
Dana: honestly, not really jonesing for anything right now. Just wanting to use up stash!
Brittany: I’d go crazy at SSK! But seriously, there are a few vendors I’ve never tried, so I’m excited to get to see their stuff in person.
Mid Year Update- our beginning of the year thread is here
- Finish the following WIPs: Wanda Nell, Honeymoon Socks, Campus Jacket, Neely O’Hara, Chickadee Love Mittens, Wildflower Monkeys, Ka’ana (just by finishing all of these, I’ll have 4065yds knit in 2013!!) I haven’t finished any of these. Boohiss. But Wanda Nell, I have my sights set on you for next month!!! And the Honeymoon Socks might get finished at SSK since ACG is using them for a booth sample
- knit at least 14000yds in 2013 I am WAY on track for this. Right now I’m sitting at 11000+ yards and it’s only July!
- knit at least 3 more sweaters in 2013, at least (right now I’m leaning toward the Bailey Cardigan for the SSK #2 KAL, Less Is More by Amy King out of handspun, and I’m going to get back to the Rocky Coast Cardigan) Finished Every Last Yard and Old Man & The Sea. Planning to knit a sweater out of my Nest fiber, plus at least 2 more out of commercial yarn at this point.
- finish the “Brown Bagging It” KAL- at least 6 months’ worth, and bonus points if I accomplish more! Epic fail. I have only finished one.
- spin at least 16oz a month… preferably 20oz… for a total of 12lb for the year (hopefully 15lb!). So far I think I’m doing really well on this. I’m averaging 19oz a month counting July and have spun a total of 8.38lb this year. I think I’ll hit 15lb, easy.
- no buying fiber until KY! (clubs aren’t included, and I’m in 2) Well I think I failed on this… but we went to MDSW and I totally blew it out there. Oops.
- try the following techniques: unsupported long draw, more art yarn techiques from Spin Art like corespinning (I already know how but need to get better!) and autowrapping. I haven’t really done any of this, but hope to do a little bit at SSK, especially long draw.
- spin for at least 2 sweaters. Technically I have 2 sweater SIPs. I’ll end up finishing both by the fall I think.
- introduce 2 more yarn bases Introduced Worsted in June, plan to introduce a new sock yarn in October.
- introduce 3 more fiber bases Done! Introduced Gray Merino, Superwash BFL, and Panda. Might have a new one or two in store for the fall too… we’ll see.
- try to stay ahead on my shop updates instead of having to get them ready right before they go live I could do better on this. After SSK I’m going to make a real effort.
- make a color cards page on my blog so I can have all of my repeatable colorways in one location Done!
- come up with at least 3 new colorways a month Done!
- stay ahead of holiday colorways by at least 2 months I haven’t done very much as far as holiday colors go this year. But that’s ok, because I’ll be releasing Halloween colorways right after SSK. 🙂
- Coldsheep until KY fiber festival in May. Yes, 5 months with no yarn buying! Then, cold sheep again until SSK. – I did terribly with this. There was a sale at my LYS, I bought a couple things on etsy/destash…
- Finish my WIPS.- 50%
- Knit more than I did in 2012 (5732 yds)- Woohoo! Only July and I’m almost past that goal.
- Knit at least 2 sweaters- Done!
- Focus on one skein projects that aren’t socks
- Signups for the next round of the 2 Crafty Girls Club are still open through July 17. This round is also themed “Art History”, with UYC doing the August shipment and ACG doing the September shipment. US memberships are $55.50 and international memberships are $74, which includes 2 yarn shipments, shipping, and a postcard of each inspirational artwork. You can sign up here.
- Dana is selling her Sidekick spinning wheel! Preference will be given to someone who can pick it up in person at SSK. The wheel comes with 4 bobbins (instead of the usual 3) and all of the original accessories. She would like to get $700 for the wheel (regular retail is $785 plus $29 for each additional bobbin). Please PM her ASAP if you’re interested, so she can know to bring it to SSK!! (otherwise she’ll probably not have room for it in her car). She needs to know for sure by 10amET on 7/19 so it can be brought to SSK.