Episode 67: Yarnbombed Hoverounds
Thank you for joining us for episode 67 of JOMR!
This month we are proud to be sponsored by FatCatKnits!
FatCatKnits is your one-stop shop for fine quality handpainted spinning fibers, drumcarded spinning batts, and other fun fibery items. We have over 50 repeatable colorways on 16 different fiber bases. Whether you are into brights, neutrals, earth tones or jewel tones, you will find the colorway you are looking for! And if you don’t, custom orders are always welcome 🙂
You can find us at fatcatknits.com.
Addendum: We forgot to give away a great prize last time, a $24 credit to the Hiwassee Creek Dyeworks Etsy shop to be used for a custom skein of yarn! The winner is knutmegknits #66. Congrats!
On The Needles/Bobbins/Spindles:
Dana: Brickless in Unwind Wanderlust Worsted in Tidepool colorway, Cadence Pullover in Plymouth Sara Superwash (discontinued), leftover rolags on Turkish spindle, TailSpinner Butterscotch blended roving
Brittany: Ginkgo Crescent Shawlette in my handspun from River’s Edge Fiber Arts, Amity Island socks from Hiwassee Creek Dyeworks, Brickless (because I’m a joiner) using Miss Babs Yowza in Shaken not Stirred
New in the Queue:
Dana: Save The Baby Whales by Sargantanna Formenterenca (free Ravelry download), Sea Lettuce Shawl by Helene Rush ($6.25 Ravelry download)
Brittany: I went through Amy Christoffer’s patterns and queued a few things from her- Stonecutter’s Cardigan ($7 Ravelry download) and Pomme de Pin ($7 Ravelry download). I found a lot of patterns that I’ve had queued for a while that I didn’t realize were hers!
If I Was A Rich Girl:
Dana: Cotton roving from Robin J Edmundson to use with my new charkha!
Brittany: Spam and Autocorrect colorways by Ethereal Fibers (be sure to listen to the episode for a listener-only coupon code to Ethereal Fibers!)
Discussion: SSK Classes
The one we took together: Fit Your Knits by Amy Christoffers
– most valuable information to Dana: easing in sleeves and picking up stitches for buttonbands
– super awesome buttonhole-in-swatch-to-pick-buttons trick
Dana’s other class: Back To The Draft by Jacey Boggs
– I would sit at this woman’s feet to listen to her read the dictionary. Passion is EVERYTHING when teaching a class, and Jacey is SO passionate.
– awesome teaching method- walked us from short forward draw one step at a time toward unsupported longdraw.
– I can now spin unsupported long draw without looking!!!
Brittany’s Breakout Session with Malia
-Malia brougt her Bosworth book charkha for us to try. She gave us a demo first and then let us try.
– She also gave us a bit of a history lesson, which was great.
– *HAVE* to spin long draw on it, which was an interesting experience.
* Prize giveaways for CP/Big Foot Knits: #51 Hannahr
and SSK Market Bag/Ply: #60 Knitfun4me
* We still have a few winners of prior contests who have not contacted Dana with their address. Please do that ASAP if you haven’t!
* TEALtember preorders are still available through August 21 in Dana’s Etsy shop. The response has been quite overwhelming, so KaRi and Dana agreed to extend the TEALtember KAL finish date through October 15 so that everyone who wants to buy the yarn/fiber can still participate. (it’s going to take Dana a bit longer than the first of September to finish dyeing everyone’s fiber and yarn).
* This month’s contest: a custom-dyed 4oz braid of Falkland roving from Fat Cat Knits! The winner will be drawn by RNG. You must be a member of the group to win, and no blog comments will count for entries. You have til midnight CT on 8/29 to enter.