Episode 75: Sorta Successful
Thank you for joining us for episode 75 of JOMR! For the month of December we are proud to be sponsored by FibroFibers.
FibroFibers signature Nightfall yarn features a distinctive speckled gradient from black to vivid color. It’s available in 24 colors and four weights. With the colorwork dyed right onto the yarn, even the simplest beginner project can look spectacular! You can find Nightfall yarns at www.fibrofibers.com.
Dana: Fiona, Bob’s Christmas Slipper Socks (here is the nonskid spray on Amazon), Test Knit: 50 Row Shawlette, Jacob Nply (59yds super bulky), Dandy Falkland Skein 1 (143yds, 2ply dk weight), Castaway BFL Silk (176yds 2ply sport to dk weight)
Brittany: Mom’s Stripey socks
Stash Stories: End of the Year Wrap-Up
* Finish the following WIPs: Wanda Nell, Honeymoon Socks, Campus Jacket, Neely O’Hara, Chickadee Love Mittens, Wildflower Monkeys, Ka’ana (finished Honeymoon Socks only- so FAIL)
* knit at least 14000yds in 2013 (will hit 20,000 by the end of the month- WIN!)
* knit at least 3 more sweaters in 2013, at least (right now I’m leaning toward the Bailey Cardigan for the SSK #2 KAL, Less Is More by Amy King out of handspun, and I’m going to get back to the Rocky Coast Cardigan) (knit Old Man & The Sea & Every Last Yard. will hopefully finish Lady Marple shortly)<
* finish the “Brown Bagging It” KAL- at least 6 months’ worth, and bonus points if I accomplish more! (only finished 2 months worth. boo)
* spin at least 16oz a month… preferably 20oz… for a total of 12lb for the year (hopefully 15lb!). (total 206oz/12.875lb for year so far, avg per month = 17.17oz- met smaller goal!)
* no buying fiber until KY! (clubs aren’t included, and I’m in 2) (OOPS)
* try the following techniques: unsupported long draw, more art yarn techiques from Spin Art like corespinning (I already know how but need to get better!) and autowrapping. (didn’t get around to art yarns but definitely got better at long draw!)
* spin for at least 2 sweaters. (spun for one, the Nestlets.)
* introduce 2 more yarn bases (introduced worsted in June. working on a bulky for 2014)
* introduce 3 more fiber bases (Introduced Gray Merino, Superwash BFL, Panda, and Superwash BFL/Nylon)
* try to stay ahead on my shop updates instead of having to get them ready right before they go live (did great on this!)
* make a color cards page on my blog so I can have all of my repeatable colorways in one location (did it for yarn!)
* come up with at least 3 new colorways a month (did way more than that)
* stay ahead of holiday colorways by at least 2 months (meh I didn’t do so hot on this but that’s ok. I’m not a big holiday-yarn dyer in general.)
* Coldsheep until KY fiber festival in May. Yes, 5 months with no yarn buying! Then, cold sheep again until SSK. (I think this was mostly successful)
* Finish my WIPS. No, really this time. Stop laughing. (50% ain’t bad)
* Knit more than I did in 2012 (5732 yds) (woohoo! currently at 6596 yards!)
* Knit at least 2 sweaters (check!)
* Focus on one skein projects that aren’t socks (sort of…not really.)
* Giveaway for FibroFibers: Recommend some patterns you think would be great to use with Nightfall yarns. (be specific!) The winner will be drawn by RNG and will win a shawl ball of Nightfall in your choice of base and colorway. The usual rules apply. You have until midnight ET on 12/28 to enter.
* Drawing for the Alpaca Farm Boy Calendar: we had 24 entrants, and the RNG picked #16 Fromage! Contact Dana and she’ll get your calendar out to you ASAP!
* Clean Slate Challenge:
– We are having a Knitdown and Spindown from your stash and WIPs!
– The only hard and fast rule is that it has to be stash yarn or fiber that is at least 3 months old.
– Every 1500yds you knit down or spin out of fiber from stash equals one entry into a drawing for a prize.
– WIPs count, but the yarn used has to meet the 3-months-old criteria.
– We will have a thread for you to “claim your place” starting January 1, and a chatter thread where all chatter about the CSC should go. You will have one post in the FO thread and will be responsible for updating it with every item or yarn you finish. We will not be policing your entries, but ask that you please be honest. 🙂
– The Challenge will run from January 1- February 28, drawing will be done on the mid-March episode of the podcast.
– You can double dip with other podcast KAL/SALs AND with the Ravellynic Games.
– Please tag your projects or yarns with CSC2014
* We have had a few dropouts for the retreat so there are some spots available. At this point we have passed the deadline for the deposit, so any future signups will have to pay the entire amount up front. For a current number of available spots, please check out this thread in the group on Ravelry.