Episode 90: How Brittany Got Her Groove Back
Thank you for joining us for episode 90 of Just One More Row! For the month of August we are proud to be sponsored by Solar Flaire Fibres.
Solar Flair Fibres is lovingly dyed under the Australian Sun! Using solar dyeing techniques, Fifikins produces variegated, semi-solid and tonal yarns, blending dyes to produce unique colours. Fifikins recently won first, second and third place in the dyeing category at the Cairns Show, Australia’s largest regional State Fair. Until 15th September, Just One More Row listeners are being given a $5 voucher to use in store- simply enter the coupon code mentioned in the episode at checkout to redeem your voucher. You can find Solar Flair Fibres at solarflairfibres.etsy.com.
On The Needles/Bobbins:
Dana: Sandshore, more Minikins, still working on colorwork ornaments pattern, CVM singles, Abstract Fibers Merino/Silk/Yak in Peacock
Brittany: Baby Girl in Gothy-Pearl, Magnolia from FatCatKnits – singles done
Dana: Frabjous Mittens, Downton Cowl, Olivia Fingerless Mitts, Olivia Baby Hat, Chickadee Cowl, knitted samples of Love Note/ At Twilight/Bloody Big Scot/one of the Halloween colorways for the shop, Loop Kaleidoscope Eyes bump (240yds of bulky weight navajo ply, 5.8oz), ITW Captain Tightpants Rambouillet (479yds of fingering weight 2ply, 4oz), Hobbledehoy Gemmy Batts (231yds/96yds of bulky weight 2ply, 15yds of bulky weight nply, 8oz) (Dana’s Calling All Swatchers blog post– submit your FO pictures for rewards in her shop!)
Brittany: Chevron Baby Blanket, Elf Hat
New In The Queue:
Dana: Ginny’s Cardigan by Mari Chiba ($14.99, in “Unofficial Harry Potter Knits” magazine) (Lyanwood button shop on Etsy)
Brittany: The View From Here Cowl by Penny Schumers ($5 Rav download)
Stash Stories: Mid-Year Wrapup
Dana: Be more mindful and plan ahead
– only have 10 WIPs or less at the end of 2014 (hahaha we’ll see on this one. So far I’ve just added a lot more projects, even though I definitely have frogged some old projects I’ll never finish.)
– finish 14 pairs of socks (7 pairs by the end of July)
– knit more with my own yarn, both commercial handdyed and handspun (I’ve definitely succeeded on this one. So far this year I’ve completed 29 projects, and 18 of those have been out of my yarn.)
– knit 12 projects from my current library of books (try for one per month) and only buy books that I want to knit 3/4 of what’s in them. (not doing so well on this one… I think I’ve only knit out of 2 books so far. But that’s better than last year!! And I’ve only bought one book this year, and was gifted 4 from my Amazon wish list, and all are books that I definitely want to knit ¾ of what’s in them.)
Great gift ideas are in these books: Last-Minute Knitted Gifts, More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts, One-Skein Wonders, One Skein
– support new-to-me businesses (I’ve tried for one per month and I’m succeeding on this one!)
Brittany: – Stop knitting mindless stockinette just because you don’t have to think about it. (lots of things that aren’t just stockinette… Aranami Shawl, Grayhaven Hat, Southmoor Hat)
– be more monogamous (doing well on this one!)
– bigger projects (Aranami Shawl, Sock Yarn Blanket)
– focus on older stash (definitely doing well here!)
Out And About: SSK 2014 Market
Dana: Desert Vista Dyeworks SSK Kit, Jeri Brock Turkish Spindle, KnittyAndColor rolags, MustStash Yarns Sesame Street 16-striping yarn, Fibernymph Dyeworks Soft Kitty self striping, FiberOptic Footnotes Unspun roving
Brittany: Desert Vista Dyeworks SSK Kit, “Sally’s Dress” from Knitter’s Nightmare, “Sesame Street” from MustStash Yarns, “Foliage” from Leading Men Fiber Arts DK
* FibroFibers contest: winner is #71 MamaMustKnit. Dana needs to hear from you by August 10 with your address or we’ll have to redraw. Thanks for entering everyone!
* Christmas In July ends on August 30! Be sure to have all of your entries in by noon on September 2 before we lock the FO thread. Feel free to keep chatting afterward though! Also, we’ve noticed that some people have been posting projects that were started before the July 1 start date. These will not count if you want to be entered for prizes, so be sure that all of your projects follow the rules we set! There aren’t many, and they’re posted at the top of both the FO and Chatter threads.
* Brittany will be going on maternity leave starting in October for a couple of months. We will keep you posted on what’s going on; Dana will do a couple of update quickie episodes and maybe one or two full solo episodes during her leave. We might even have a guest cohost! You’ll just have to wait and see. 😉