Thanks for listening to episode 110 of Just One More Row!
FO’s- Make It Work using Impulse of Delight Mere Sock
NitQ- The Sock Knitter’s Shawl
Announcements- Christmas in July! We’ll post full list of rules, but the main idea is any type of craft as long as it’s a gift for someone, or christmas/winter holiday themed. New rule though- one post per project. It will make it easier on us to draw for winners. In the spirit of making things easier, we’re only going to be giving away patterns this time. So, if you’re a pattern designer, or would just like to donate something for a pattern prize, we’re gladly accepting those! This way it makes it easier on both of us- nothing to ship, nothing to keep track of. Thank you!!
Thanks for joining me for episode 109 of Just One More Row!
NitQ- A Perfect Day Off Cowl by Diane L. Augustine (Free until tonight, not sure what price it will be after May 31st)
- IceMelon’s stash contest- thanks to everyone who entered! I’ve not heard back about who she’s picked for the winner yet, so I’ll earburn whomever wins in the thread and announce it next time. :)
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2014 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
The concert hall at the Sydney Opera House holds 2,700 people. This blog was viewed about 36,000 times in 2014. If it were a concert at Sydney Opera House, it would take about 13 sold-out performances for that many people to see it.
Thank you for joining us for Episode 92 of Just One More Row! For the month of September we are proud to be sponsored by Daizie Knits!
At Daizie Knits, our goal is to provide a rainbow of colors in a range of fibers and weights. We dye all our produces in small batches using a kettle dying method; so each one is a unique. Our focus is semi-solids but we also provide some variegated color-ways to add to your color combinations. We strive to find yarns and fibers that makes your heart sing and your toes curl with delight. Not seeing your perfect yarn or fiber? Let us know so we can work on a custom order just for you. At daizieknits.com, you can contact us, view a gallery of projects, check out the show schedule and of course, link to our shop. Use the coupon code mentioned in the episode to receive 20% off your next purchase.
New In The Queue:
Dana: Penelope Cobblestone Scarf by Jennifer Moretti (free Ravelry download), Eugenia’s Mittens by Mollie Woodworth (free Ravelry download)
Brittany: Eppleby hat by Rachel Coopey. £3.5 ($5.96 at conversion rate as of recording)
Just One More Craft:
Dana: getting back to my Woodland Sampler by Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery
Brittany: Beatrix Potter cross stitch from her mom- going to finish it herself!
Book Review: New American Knits by Amy Christoffers (also available on Interweave here)
* 20 patterns, varying from pullovers to cardigans to hats to cowls, with a heavy focus on sweaters
* all patterns are named after American artists that inspired AC
* Dana’s favorites: Moses Hoodie, Benton Cardigan, Hopper Cardigan, Rockwell Hat
* Brittany’s favorites: Georgia Sweater, Tanner Cowl, Remington Cardigan
* Solar Flair Fibres contest winner: #37: carrotmusic. Please contact Dana by September 10 to claim your prize!
* next episode we will announce the prizewinners for the Christmas In July KAL.
* next episode we will talk about Brittany’s shower and all of the gifts you guys sent!
* next episode is Brittany’s last one before her “maternity leave” but stay tuned in October for a special episode that Dana will do with CaffeinatedGert… a new eBook from Daniela & a new colorway from Dana = a great KAL that we will be doing!
* we are looking for sponsors for 2015… spring is booked up but we are looking to start filling up summer. Please email us at email@example.com if you’re interested in sponsoring and we will send you the information.
* thank you to everyone who ordered from handcraftedgifts.etsy.com and elisadallomo.etsy.com!
* thank you so much to Daizie Knits for sponsoring, and we hope you’ll go check out her shop and use the coupon code to pick up something awesome!
Thank you for joining us for episode 91 of Just One More Row! For the month of August we are proud to be sponsored by Solar Flair Fibres.
**Just a little sidenote, the first five minutes or so we tell a funny little story that is not completely vulgar, but a tad “adult” in nature, so keep that in mind if you listen with children or at work!**
Solar Flair Fibres is lovingly dyed under the Australian Sun! Using solar dyeing techniques, Fifikins produces variegated, semi-solid and tonal yarns, blending dyes to produce unique colours. Fifikins recently won first, second and third place in the dyeing category at the Cairns Show, Australia’s largest regional State Fair. Until 15th September, Just One More Row listeners are being given a $5 voucher to use in store- simply enter the coupon code mentioned in the episode at checkout to redeem your voucher. You can find Solar Flair Fibres at solarflairfibres.etsy.com.
On The Needles/Bobbins:
Dana: Sandshore, Test Knit for CaffeinatedGert, Modicum Mitts (knitting 2aat on separate sets of dpns, Jimmy Beans Wool sells the TeaCake Sampler)
Brittany: Baby Girl in Gothy-Pearl
Dana: Cat’s Paw Cowl
Brittany: FCK Magnolia navajo ply (254 yards), mystery fiber from Camp PluckyFluff (70 yards)
New In The Queue:
Dana: Moonshiner by Julia Trice ($7 Ravelry download, or $21 for an eBook of 6 patterns)
Brittany: The Beeswax Set by Amy van de Laar ($4.50 Ravelry download for each pattern, or $10 eBook download for all three patterns)
If I Was A Rich Girl:
Dana: Handpainted spindle from handcraftedgifts on Etsy (I *might* already have one on order… lol)
Brittany: I’ve been wanting to try the new “self striping” Loop bumps. I love the gradient bumps, so I’d like to try the different color progression. (Dana’s self-striping bump)
Stash Stories: Jewel Encrusted Head Revisited
Dana: I used to do a lot of buying off of destashes to try to get a bargain… one time I bought a sweater quantity of Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool (which remains one of my favorite yarns) but it is in this horrid snot color. I keep meaning to overdye it but now it’s not enough yarn for me to knit a sweater with (damn weight gain) so it just sits there. I also have two skeins of MadTosh DK in Golden Hickory that have been in my destash forever. It’s yellow/orange/green and just NOT my colors… someone take it off my hands please!
Brittany: My Wollmeise is definitely a “JEH” colorway. Wanted to see what the fuss was about, and the color didn’t seem *quite* so bright when I ordered it. I will still use it, probably on socks, eventually, or with another color to tone it down. (Moonlight Sonata Shawl)
* Solar Flair Fibres contest: please follow the prompt in the episode. Enter in the contest thread on the Ravelry group by noon CT on 8/27. You must be a member of the group, one post per person, etc. Full contest rules here.
* Christmas In July ends on August 30! Be sure to have all of your entries in by noon CT on September 2 before we lock the FO thread. There are a lot of people who have claimed spots that haven’t listed anything yet… you have time to get something finished and posted still!
* Unwind Yarn Company has lots of new things coming down the pipe! Check out the shop blog for updates. Updates have also moved to a schedule… check out the top of the shop, the front page of the Ravelry group, and the sidebar of the shop blog.
Thank you for joining us for episode 84 of Just One More Row! For the month of May we are proud to be sponsored by Dragonfly Fibers.
At Dragonfly Fibers, we love color. We take inspiration from everything around us – music, art, the natural world and even popular culture and turn it into fabulous colorways. We carry yarns in weights from lace to super bulky, and we love spinners, too! We’ve got several different types of fiber including Polwarth Silk and Sea Monster, our Silk, Wool and Seacell blend. Check out our products on our website and select local yarn stores. You can also find us at major festivals and shows, including Maryland Sheep & Wool in May, STITCHES Midwest in August, Shenandoah Valley Fiber fest in September and Rhinebeck and SAFF in October.
Stash Stories: Sock Heels
Dana: I vastly prefer the short row garter stitch heel (part 1 andpart 2– from KnitPurlHunter). I use it on everything except when I need to preserve a color progression (ie. stripes) and then I use anafterthought heel w/ waste yarn. I’ve used the eye of partridge heel whenever I need to do a heel flap and it holds up nicely… it just takes a long time.
We mention the Double Gusset by Turtlegirl76, used in her Breaking Hearts pattern, and the Falling Snow Stocking.
Brittany: I started using heel flaps for all of my socks, then tried the short row heel when I first tried toe up. I think it looks more “finished” and prefer it to a heel flap. After that I’ve tried a garter stitch short row heel, and an afterthought heel, both of which I like for different things.
We mention Silver’s Sock Class, Hedera, and Wendy Johnson’s Toe Up Socks. Also mentioned the Skew socks.
* Suburban Stitcher Contest: #43, Cinderga, contact Dianne from Suburban Stitcher (dbbstitch on Ravelry).
* Dragonfly Fibers is offering our listeners a coupon code! Through the month of May, use the coupon code mentioned in the episode to save 10% off your purchase!
* Into The Wool Announcement: attendees, please be on the lookout for an email within the next few days. It will have all of your final information about arrival times, things to be sure to bring with you, homework for classes you’re in, etc.
Thanks for joining us for episode 80 of Just One More Row! This month we’re proud to be sponsored by Unwind Yarn Company!
At Unwind Yarn Company, we are always looking for ways to become your go-to source for gorgeous indie-dyed yarns and fibers. New colorways are appearing in the shop practically every week, and we are excited to be collaborating with some of your favorite designers to bring you fun and exciting new patterns to knit with our yarns! Shop updates are on Tuesdays at 4pmET, and you can find us in person at Stitches South in Atlanta this April! To shop our online store, visit unwindyarncompany.com.
Dana: Great Barrier Reef Socks
Brittany: nothing this time
Just One More Craft:
Dana: started a new cross stitch… “Work Hard & Be Kind” from WeeLittleStitches
Brittany: nothing this time
Stash Stories: Favorite way to use up scraps?
Dana: I have made a Sock History Wallhanging, a Sock Yarn Scrap Scarf, and would love to make the Modicum Mitts and the new Leftovers Cowl. I’ve also made toys and other little things out of scraps (a Balzac, a Spinning Wheel Bag, lots of ornaments, etc.), Preemie Baby Beanies
Brittany: I’ve been in the process of making a mitred square blanket for years now. I’ve made Saartjes Booties & Mary Jane Booties.
Clean Slate Challenge:
* We will lock the FO thread on the 5th of March at midnight ET so you have until then to update your post with all of your pictures and your yardage. We will draw and announce winners on the next episode!
* Quaere contest winner: 2-133 = 54 knitter-pixie (Lauren from Tampa FL) Contact Brittany to give her your address!
* We will be at Camp Pluckyfluff in Asheville March 22-23. If you’re going to be there (or live in the area) and want to have dinner, let us know!
* Dana is offering a coupon to JOMR listeners for the month of March! Be sure to listen to the episode to get the code!