Thank you for tuning in to episode 96 of Just One More Row!
Out & About: Fiber In The Boro 2014
Thanks so much to everyone who came out to support not only me but all of the other vendors there! The podcaster meetup was fun, and it was great to get hugs and friendly chats with so many of you!
- from TalesOfYarn: how did I get into dyeing? how do I feel I’ve evolved as a dyer? been dyeing since 2006 when I couldn’t find a color I liked, and friends encouraged me to start selling my yarns on Etsy. I went full time in 2011 when my husband and I got engaged. My colors are much more sophisticated now (and more repeatable now that I actually write down formulas!). I’m also a lot more fearless about mixing colors that “shouldn’t go together”, and with chemically breaking dyes down into their component parts to get different color effects. I’m also experimenting with new to me dye techniques to expand my repertoire.
- from lspearl and TeriChesser: heels for toe up and cuff down socks? My heel of choice for both is the short row garter stitch heel, because it fits me best. I’ve wanted to try the fish lips kiss, but since I blow through heels that don’t have texture, I don’t know if it’s a good choice for me. I do a faux-garter afterthought heel when I do stripey socks too (purl every other row).
- from Fromage: souvenir yarn? I tend to purchase souvenir yarn if I have a chance… but it just hangs out in my stash because I hate to use it up! I have some sock yarn from my last beach trip (it’s tweed and I even have a pattern for it! oops!), and some sock yarn I bought on my honeymoon that I haven’t used yet. What I look for in souvenir yarn: what I can’t find locally to me or easily online… bonus points if it’s a dyer that’s local to that shop!
- Daniela of Caffeinated Knitting and I will be doing a special review episode for the second episode of the month.
- We will be doing the Clean Slate Challenge again starting on January 1 and going through February 28. Be thinking about what you want to work on! We will clarify the rules on an upcoming episode. We are also taking prize donations, so if you’re interested please email us!
- Into the Wool vendor applications are now being taken through 11/22! There is information about vending on this thread in the Into the Wool group. We hope you’ll consider applying if you’re an indie, bagmaker, notions maker, spindle maker, etc.!
- Unwind & Little Skein have teamed up to bring you a reimagined kit with Susan Claudino’s Snowball Buddies! 6 brand new Unwind colorways, a bag and notions from Little Skein, and a limited edition re-release of Snowball Buddies will be in this adorable kit! Look for it in late November. I’ll announce it again when we have a specific release date. Follow us on Instagram to see previews: @annielightknits @noknitsherlock @dana_of_unwind
- Unwind Yarn Company’s Thanksgiving sale starts at midnight ET on Thanksgiving night and goes through midnight ET on Cyber Monday (11/27-12/1). Use coupon code TURKEY2014 to save 15% off your purchase! (sale items, Kookaburra, and kits are excluded). Also, Halloween items have been marked down in the shop right now!
Thanks for tuning in to episode 95 of Just One More Row! Thanks so much for your kind words on my first solo episode last time. I hope you’ll continue to tune in!
The baby is doing great, growing like a weed, and Brittany is adjusting really well. I go to see them on Wednesday of this week! (which is why I’m recording early)
Moorish Hat and Mitten by Emily Estrada
On The Needles/Bobbins:
March Hare test knit (hat and mitts; and Em’s new username is KnitFastDieCozy, which I forgot to mention! Sorry!), ALL THE CHRISTMAS COLORS cowl, Viajante, Chris’s Birthday Socks (which may now become his Christmas socks), Mama Vertebrae, BFL pencil roving from HilltopCloud on the Hansen started at spinning guild and may end up being a long term project… there’s a lot of it!
Out And About:
Fiber in the Boro in Murfreesboro TN on November 1 at the Lane Agricultural Park, podcaster meetup at 2pmCT (all are welcome!)
What Do You Want To Hear About:
From KarenCreates: suggestions about picking out a first wheel? Episode 31 Wheels Loved & Lost, my history with wheels and advice (eBags Crew Cooler II)
From kabang: suggestions for patterns for handspun? my queue’s handspun tag. Also, do I spin for specific projects? Yes, on occasion.
From KuntzKnit: how to measure the yardage for handspun? niddy noddy or skeinwinder, wash before measuring final yardage, DO NOT WEIGHT THE YARN.
From cperrine: taking care of hand dyed yarn? my opinion on washing, why certain yarns fade, etc. Also… I didn’t realize this ‘controversy’ about hand dyed yarns that bleed was going on in other places on Ravelry when I chose to respond to the question that was asked in the WDYWTHA thread, and what I said wasn’t directed at anyone or meant to claim a side. I just presented my response as I see it, based on my own 8+ years as an indie dyer and 9+ years as a knitter of hand dyed yarns.
- the SillyFru shop update: $225 got donated to her medical fund thanks to YOU!
- one more shop update, next Tuesday 10/21 at 4pmET, and then no more updates til 11/11 so that I can focus on FITB and resting afterward.
- new patterns coming out for UYC’s booth at FITB! Nell Ziroli’s Hexes & Ohs, Emily Estrada’s Moorish Arches, Emma Galati’s March Hare. Kits will be available in the shop after FITB is over, and the patterns will be available on Ravelry for purchase after the show as well!
Hello everyone! This is a special announcement episode with Dana and CaffeinatedGert of the CaffeinatedKnitting Podcast.
On Monday 10/6/14 CaffeinatedGert will be releasing the Inverness patterns and Inverness eBook on Ravelry for purchase. From 10/6-10/12/14, 50% of the proceeds of sales from the patterns will be donated to SillyFru’s medical fund.
Inverness Diamonds eBook (ebook includes the fair isle version as a bonus pattern!)
Dana is doing a huge shop update on Tuesday 10/7/14 at 4pmET with all of the yarns used for the cowl, mitts & hat patterns, as well as a large selection of her new SuperBulky base. 10% of all sales from 12:01amET to 11:59pmET (including already-listed items, not just new items from the update) will go to SillyFru’s medical fund. You can find Dana’s shop here. The update items will be put up in preview mode on Monday night or Tuesday morning if you’d like a sneak peek.
There will be a KAL for all of the Inverness Diamonds patterns in the Unwind Yarn Company group on Ravelry. You can find the chatter thread here, and the FO thread here. The KAL runs from 10/6-11/30, and the only requirements are that you use Unwind Yarn Company yarn and one of the Inverness Diamonds patterns (the yarn can be handspun out of UYC fiber, or stash yarn- it doesn’t have to be purchased in the update). We hope you will join us!
Thank you for tuning in to episode 94 of Just One More Row!
I’m going to go ahead and apologize for the speed talking. I was really nervous! I promise it’ll be better next time!
- Felicity was born on 9/30, and is doing very well, as is her proud mama! Brittany wants to relay the particulars herself, so be watching for a thread in the group where she will post info and pictures when she is ready to share.
- DaizieKnits contest: 2-36, winner is #8: Camanoah. Congrats Judy! Please contact me with your address and I’ll get your yarn right out. Thanks for all of the inspirational pics everyone! I’m sure Daizie will be able to create some gorgeous colorways from them.
- Fundraisers for SillyFru, including Dana’s 10/7 update & CaffeinatedGert’s eBook release 10/6; check the hashtag #crushthesack on Instagram to find more fundraisers if you’re so inclined! (and a little oops: I said “Fru’s eBook release” instead of “Gert’s eBook release”. My apologizes to Gert!)
Well there really isn’t one, because I can’t discuss something alone! ;) If you have an idea of something you want me to talk about, could you put it in the What Do You Want To Hear About thread on the Ravelry group? I’ll use your ideas to try to flesh out this section for the next episode. :)
Out & About:
Dana: vending Fiber In The Boro on November 1! Hoping to see some of you there!
Thank you for joining us for Episode 93 of Just One More Row! For the month of September we are proud to be sponsored by Daizie Knits.
At Daizie Knits, our goal is to provide a rainbow of colors in a range of fibers and weights. We dye all of our produces in small batches using a kettle dyeing method so that each one is unique. Our focus is semi-solids but we also provide some variegated colorways to add to your color combinations. We strive to find yarns and fibers that make your heart sing and your toes curl with delight. Not seeing your perfect yarn or fiber? Let us know so we can work on a custom order just for you. At daizieknits.com you can contact us, view a gallery of projects, check out the show schedule and of course the link to our shop. Use the coupon code mentioned in the episode to receive 20% off your next purchase.
Dana: Garland Cowl, Quaker Yarn Stretcher, Two If By Hand “Pretty Bird” SWBFL (232yds of 2ply); Brittany’s baby gifts: Layer Cake, Baby Hats (Purple, Vegas Color, Olivia), FPDC Washcloths, Mushroom Cross Stitch (bottom pics of Rav project)
Brittany: Quaker Yarn Stretcher
If I Was A Rich Girl:
Dana: Shetland Trader Book 2 by Gudrun Johnston ($26 for eBook and printed book, and you get the Hermaness Hats pattern free)
Brittany: Coloring Book Yarns (BMO colorway specifically)
New In The Queue:
Dana: Campside by Alicia Plummer (free from PomPom website), Snake Skin by Ashley Solley ($5.50 Ravelry download) (Magic Knot by Jane Richmond)
Brittany: Foxy Sweater by Natalia Moreva ($4.99 USD), Pumpkin by Marnie Ann Joyce (free), inspired by seeing this kit on Etsy (Dana’s pumpkin was made from this pattern)
Out & About: Brittany’s Baby Shower
– Daizie Knits contest: please post an image that you’d like to see a colorway dyed up, along with an idea for a name for that colorway. Dana will pick the winner via RNG on 9/30 at noon ET, and will announce the winner on her first solo episode in October (will be posted the first week of the month at some point). Regular contest rules apply.
– Dana will be at Fiber in the ‘Boro on Nov 1 in the main building… come shop and say hi!
Thank you for joining us for Episode 92 of Just One More Row! For the month of September we are proud to be sponsored by Daizie Knits!
At Daizie Knits, our goal is to provide a rainbow of colors in a range of fibers and weights. We dye all our produces in small batches using a kettle dying method; so each one is a unique. Our focus is semi-solids but we also provide some variegated color-ways to add to your color combinations. We strive to find yarns and fibers that makes your heart sing and your toes curl with delight. Not seeing your perfect yarn or fiber? Let us know so we can work on a custom order just for you. At daizieknits.com, you can contact us, view a gallery of projects, check out the show schedule and of course, link to our shop. Use the coupon code mentioned in the episode to receive 20% off your next purchase.
New In The Queue:
Dana: Penelope Cobblestone Scarf by Jennifer Moretti (free Ravelry download), Eugenia’s Mittens by Mollie Woodworth (free Ravelry download)
Brittany: Eppleby hat by Rachel Coopey. £3.5 ($5.96 at conversion rate as of recording)
Just One More Craft:
Dana: getting back to my Woodland Sampler by Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery
Brittany: Beatrix Potter cross stitch from her mom- going to finish it herself!
Book Review: New American Knits by Amy Christoffers (also available on Interweave here)
* 20 patterns, varying from pullovers to cardigans to hats to cowls, with a heavy focus on sweaters
* all patterns are named after American artists that inspired AC
* Dana’s favorites: Moses Hoodie, Benton Cardigan, Hopper Cardigan, Rockwell Hat
* Brittany’s favorites: Georgia Sweater, Tanner Cowl, Remington Cardigan
* Solar Flair Fibres contest winner: #37: carrotmusic. Please contact Dana by September 10 to claim your prize!
* next episode we will announce the prizewinners for the Christmas In July KAL.
* next episode we will talk about Brittany’s shower and all of the gifts you guys sent!
* next episode is Brittany’s last one before her “maternity leave” but stay tuned in October for a special episode that Dana will do with CaffeinatedGert… a new eBook from Daniela & a new colorway from Dana = a great KAL that we will be doing!
* we are looking for sponsors for 2015… spring is booked up but we are looking to start filling up summer. Please email us at email@example.com if you’re interested in sponsoring and we will send you the information.
* thank you to everyone who ordered from handcraftedgifts.etsy.com and elisadallomo.etsy.com!
* thank you so much to Daizie Knits for sponsoring, and we hope you’ll go check out her shop and use the coupon code to pick up something awesome!
Thank you for joining us for episode 91 of Just One More Row! For the month of August we are proud to be sponsored by Solar Flair Fibres.
**Just a little sidenote, the first five minutes or so we tell a funny little story that is not completely vulgar, but a tad “adult” in nature, so keep that in mind if you listen with children or at work!**
Solar Flair Fibres is lovingly dyed under the Australian Sun! Using solar dyeing techniques, Fifikins produces variegated, semi-solid and tonal yarns, blending dyes to produce unique colours. Fifikins recently won first, second and third place in the dyeing category at the Cairns Show, Australia’s largest regional State Fair. Until 15th September, Just One More Row listeners are being given a $5 voucher to use in store- simply enter the coupon code mentioned in the episode at checkout to redeem your voucher. You can find Solar Flair Fibres at solarflairfibres.etsy.com.
On The Needles/Bobbins:
Dana: Sandshore, Test Knit for CaffeinatedGert, Modicum Mitts (knitting 2aat on separate sets of dpns, Jimmy Beans Wool sells the TeaCake Sampler)
Brittany: Baby Girl in Gothy-Pearl
Dana: Cat’s Paw Cowl
Brittany: FCK Magnolia navajo ply (254 yards), mystery fiber from Camp PluckyFluff (70 yards)
New In The Queue:
Dana: Moonshiner by Julia Trice ($7 Ravelry download, or $21 for an eBook of 6 patterns)
Brittany: The Beeswax Set by Amy van de Laar ($4.50 Ravelry download for each pattern, or $10 eBook download for all three patterns)
If I Was A Rich Girl:
Dana: Handpainted spindle from handcraftedgifts on Etsy (I *might* already have one on order… lol)
Brittany: I’ve been wanting to try the new “self striping” Loop bumps. I love the gradient bumps, so I’d like to try the different color progression. (Dana’s self-striping bump)
Stash Stories: Jewel Encrusted Head Revisited
Dana: I used to do a lot of buying off of destashes to try to get a bargain… one time I bought a sweater quantity of Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool (which remains one of my favorite yarns) but it is in this horrid snot color. I keep meaning to overdye it but now it’s not enough yarn for me to knit a sweater with (damn weight gain) so it just sits there. I also have two skeins of MadTosh DK in Golden Hickory that have been in my destash forever. It’s yellow/orange/green and just NOT my colors… someone take it off my hands please!
Brittany: My Wollmeise is definitely a “JEH” colorway. Wanted to see what the fuss was about, and the color didn’t seem *quite* so bright when I ordered it. I will still use it, probably on socks, eventually, or with another color to tone it down. (Moonlight Sonata Shawl)
* Solar Flair Fibres contest: please follow the prompt in the episode. Enter in the contest thread on the Ravelry group by noon CT on 8/27. You must be a member of the group, one post per person, etc. Full contest rules here.
* Christmas In July ends on August 30! Be sure to have all of your entries in by noon CT on September 2 before we lock the FO thread. There are a lot of people who have claimed spots that haven’t listed anything yet… you have time to get something finished and posted still!
* Unwind Yarn Company has lots of new things coming down the pipe! Check out the shop blog for updates. Updates have also moved to a schedule… check out the top of the shop, the front page of the Ravelry group, and the sidebar of the shop blog.