Thank you for joining us for episode 99 and for all of the support you’ve given both of us this year! For the month of January we are proud to be sponsored by Desert Vista Dyeworks.
Expand Your View of Hand Dyed Yarn at Desert Vista Dyeworks! So many exciting things are happening for 2015!!!!! The yearly colorway theme is focused on the decades of the past century. Each month six new colorways in self striping, variegated and ColorBlock yarns are created based on the inspirations shared by the members of our Ravelry Group. Desert Vista Dyeworks is the home for all of the Zombody Colorways. You never know when there will be a newly inspired self striping Zombody! Join us this year for our Officially Unofficial Desert Vista Dyeworks Monthly Sock Club. Information for all upcoming events, sales, and new colorways are posted on Instagram, Facebook, and the Ravelry Group. Expand Your View, Today!!!
From January 1- February 7, JOMR listeners save 20% off their order by using the coupon code mentioned in the episode.
New In The Queue:
Dana: Herrington by Jill Zielinski ($6 Ravelry download), Bluebird of Happiness by Sara Elizabeth Kellner (free)
Brittany: DeConstructed Cowl by Amanda A Davidson ($6 Ravelry download)
- knit a total of 7 sweaters for Madelyn before she gets here
- make up “project club” kits: yarn (or a note of what yarn to buy for a project), pattern notes, plus needles into a project bag and pick one per month (or pick a new one whenever I finish one)
- try to keep ahead on gift knits: socks for Chris and Mom, etc.
- attempt to keep to a “two out, one in” buying plan with yarn- I don’t want to deny myself treats, but I do need to work through some stash!
- replace old knitting needles as I can afford to with better ones (ie. get rid of Brittany dpns and replace with Karbonz since the Brittanys are starting to splinter)
- shop at my LYS first before buying online if I can, especially for commercial yarns.
- Stop worrying about stash- knit what makes me happy!
- Finish or Frog- I’m sick of looking at old wips! Try to take care of one before I can start something new- Sunk Cost Fallacy and how it applies to WIPs
- Make Rolling Rock using oldest stash yarn I own!
- Find other interesting things to do with sock yarn
- Try something new this year
Clean Slate Challenge:
- Rocketry Sweater (casting on 1/1/15)
- Chris’s Rowlf Socks
- Twinkle Twinkle Blanket
- Bad Amy Socks
- In Remembrance Of Micah
- Bad Oyster
- spin up at least 4oz out of stash every 2 weeks for a total of 20oz out of stash during the CSC, hoping for between 1500-1800 yards of yarn.
- Stocking- frog? reknit with snowflake motif?
- Aranami Shawl
- Sesame Street socks
- Clean Slate Challenge begins 1/1/15 and goes through 2/28/15. Details are on both the FO thread and the Chatter thread. The Chatter thread is already open for you to chat in, but the FO thread won’t be unlocked until sometime on 1/1/15. Please be sure to read the rules (posted in the header of either thread) to be sure that your entries will count for prizes.
- We have a few prizes donated for the CSC but if you’re interested in donating one, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Signups for Into The Wool 2015 (9/3-9/6/2015) will open on 2/1/15 at 3pmET. The link to the signup form will be posted in a brand new thread in the Into The Wool Ravelry group.
- Thanks so much to Susan of Desert Vista Dyeworks for sponsoring!!
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2014 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
The concert hall at the Sydney Opera House holds 2,700 people. This blog was viewed about 36,000 times in 2014. If it were a concert at Sydney Opera House, it would take about 13 sold-out performances for that many people to see it.
Thank you for joining us for episode 98! Be sure to comment about your year-in-review in the Ravelry group thread for the episode! :)
On The Needles/Bobbins:
Dana: Layer Cake, Bad Amy socks, Christmas Cowl, “Cheerful Disposition” BFL from Three Waters Farm on Hansen, nothing on Suzie at the moment
Brittany: Sesame Street Socks, Yowza Weigh It Shawl in Miss Babs “Fairy Ring”, Christmas Socks, started spinning “Merry Fallmas” from Unwind Yarn Co.
End of the Year Wrap Up:
From the first episode of the year:
2014 Goals- “Mindfulness”
Dana: Be more mindful and plan ahead
– only have 10 WIPs or less at the end of 2014 (never gonna happen. probably ever.)
– finish 14 pairs of socks (8 ½ done- I’m on the failboat!)
– knit more with my own yarn, both commercial handdyed and handspun (DEFINITELY did this)
– knit 12 projects from my current library of books (try for one per month) and only buy books that I want to knit 3/4 of what’s in them. (did about 5. that’s not too bad. and I bought ONE book.)
– support new-to-me businesses (definitely did this! bought from a bunch of new and new-to-me dyers in particular)
– Stop knitting mindless stockinette just because you don’t have to think about it.
– be more monogamous
– bigger projects
– focus on older stash
* Clean Slate Challenge begins on 1/1/15 and goes through 2/28/15. Hashtag for Instagram is #cleanslatechallenge15, tag for Ravelry is cleanslatechallenge15.
* Dana’s shower thread is here.
* Dana’s shop announcements… listen to the episode for details about changes coming to Unwind!!
Thank you for joining us for episode 97 of Just One More Row! So excited that Brittany is back!!
Dana: Mom’s hot water bottle cozy, Gnome Is Where The Heart Is, Snowball Buddies (mouse & bunny), Hieroglyphics hot water bottle cozy, Sprinkle Cardigan & tube socks, SRR BFL (forgot colorway and haven’t measured yardage, sorry!)
Brittany: Little Pumpkins, Halloween 2014 socks, Hitchhiker
On The Needles/Bobbins:
Dana: All The Christmas Colors Cowl, Twinkle Twinkle Blanket, Blight, Hermaness (kinda on the back burner), fair isle hat design project, Hilltop Cloud BFL pencil roving on Hansen, Tricks For Treats Merino by SRR on Suzie
Brittany: Katniss Cowl, Avery Cowl, Sesame Street Socks, Twigs and Willows
New In The Queue:
Dana: Small Things Sweater by Carina Spencer ($6 Ravelry download, and there is an ebook of 3 matching patterns for $13 if you’d prefer), Eole by Nadia Cretin-Lechenne ($5FR or about $5.31 as of recording for a Ravelry download)
Brittany: Yowza Weigh It Shawl by Susan B Anderson ($5 Ravelry download), Split Back Snowflake Hat by Susan B Anderson ($5.50 Ravelry download)
What Do You Want To Hear About?
- photoknitgal: why do we not predraft?
- lspearl: when faced with a unit of fiber, how do we decide what to do with it?
- Dana is pregnant and due in June with a girl!
- Clean Slate Challenge begins on 1/1/15 and goes through 2/28/15. We are having a Knitdown and Spindown from your stash and WIPs!
- The only hard and fast rule is that it has to be stash yarn or fiber that is at least 3 months old.
- Every 1500yds you knit down or spin out of fiber from stash equals one entry into a drawing for a prize.
- WIPs count, but the yarn used has to meet the 3-months-old criteria.
- We will have a thread for you to “claim your place” starting January 1, and a chatter thread where all chatter about the CSC should go. You will have one post in the FO thread and will be responsible for updating it with every item or yarn you finish. In order for an entry to count, you MUST photograph it to prove that it’s finished, and post the picture on your FO thread post. Other than that, we will not be policing your entries, but ask that you please be honest. :)
- Please be sure to add up your own yardage in a cumulative total at the bottom of your post. We don’t have time to add all of these up for you since we have so many participants.
- The Challenge will run from January 1- February 28, the FO thread will be locked down on March 5, and the drawing for prizes will be done on the mid-March episode of the podcast.
- You can double dip with other podcast KAL/SALs.
- Please tag your projects or yarns with CSC2015
- You have to be a member of this group to win a prize.
And here are some FAQs from last year, to give y’all some clarity…
- Can I count my WIPs? Yes, as long as the yarn used in them is at least 3 months old.
- Do I count only the yardage that I knit starting January 1 on WIPs, or can I count the whole yardage when it’s finished? Total yardage can be counted.
- If I’m spinning, can I count the singles yardage, or just the plied yardage? If you plan to leave the yarn as singles you can count the singles yardage. If you plan to ply the yarn please only count the yardage once it’s plied. It wouldn’t be fair to count the yardage from singles AND plied yarn, since we’re giving out entries into a prize drawing for every 1500 yards finished.
- Can we do smaller projects to add up to 1500 yards? Absolutely! You can do that as many times as you like. Each time you hit an additional 1500 you get another entry!
- When knitting with handspun, does it need to have been in the fiber stash for more than three months, or spun up into yarn for more than three months? Since the challenge is about getting rid of stash that has been sitting for a while, knitting with handspun will count as long as it has been spun (finished) yarn for at least three months.
- Can I crochet my yardage? Yes.
- Can I weave my yardage? After talking it over, we have decided not to allow weaving since the time commitment isn’t the same as it would be with knitting, spinning, or crochet. Sorry.
- I’m using my yarn doubled. How do I count that? Yardage is yardage. If you’re using two 400yd skeins held together, then you count 800yds.
Thank you for tuning in to episode 96 of Just One More Row!
Out & About: Fiber In The Boro 2014
Thanks so much to everyone who came out to support not only me but all of the other vendors there! The podcaster meetup was fun, and it was great to get hugs and friendly chats with so many of you!
- from TalesOfYarn: how did I get into dyeing? how do I feel I’ve evolved as a dyer? been dyeing since 2006 when I couldn’t find a color I liked, and friends encouraged me to start selling my yarns on Etsy. I went full time in 2011 when my husband and I got engaged. My colors are much more sophisticated now (and more repeatable now that I actually write down formulas!). I’m also a lot more fearless about mixing colors that “shouldn’t go together”, and with chemically breaking dyes down into their component parts to get different color effects. I’m also experimenting with new to me dye techniques to expand my repertoire.
- from lspearl and TeriChesser: heels for toe up and cuff down socks? My heel of choice for both is the short row garter stitch heel, because it fits me best. I’ve wanted to try the fish lips kiss, but since I blow through heels that don’t have texture, I don’t know if it’s a good choice for me. I do a faux-garter afterthought heel when I do stripey socks too (purl every other row).
- from Fromage: souvenir yarn? I tend to purchase souvenir yarn if I have a chance… but it just hangs out in my stash because I hate to use it up! I have some sock yarn from my last beach trip (it’s tweed and I even have a pattern for it! oops!), and some sock yarn I bought on my honeymoon that I haven’t used yet. What I look for in souvenir yarn: what I can’t find locally to me or easily online… bonus points if it’s a dyer that’s local to that shop!
- Daniela of Caffeinated Knitting and I will be doing a special review episode for the second episode of the month.
- We will be doing the Clean Slate Challenge again starting on January 1 and going through February 28. Be thinking about what you want to work on! We will clarify the rules on an upcoming episode. We are also taking prize donations, so if you’re interested please email us!
- Into the Wool vendor applications are now being taken through 11/22! There is information about vending on this thread in the Into the Wool group. We hope you’ll consider applying if you’re an indie, bagmaker, notions maker, spindle maker, etc.!
- Unwind & Little Skein have teamed up to bring you a reimagined kit with Susan Claudino’s Snowball Buddies! 6 brand new Unwind colorways, a bag and notions from Little Skein, and a limited edition re-release of Snowball Buddies will be in this adorable kit! Look for it in late November. I’ll announce it again when we have a specific release date. Follow us on Instagram to see previews: @annielightknits @noknitsherlock @dana_of_unwind
- Unwind Yarn Company’s Thanksgiving sale starts at midnight ET on Thanksgiving night and goes through midnight ET on Cyber Monday (11/27-12/1). Use coupon code TURKEY2014 to save 15% off your purchase! (sale items, Kookaburra, and kits are excluded). Also, Halloween items have been marked down in the shop right now!
Thanks for tuning in to episode 95 of Just One More Row! Thanks so much for your kind words on my first solo episode last time. I hope you’ll continue to tune in!
The baby is doing great, growing like a weed, and Brittany is adjusting really well. I go to see them on Wednesday of this week! (which is why I’m recording early)
Moorish Hat and Mitten by Emily Estrada
On The Needles/Bobbins:
March Hare test knit (hat and mitts; and Em’s new username is KnitFastDieCozy, which I forgot to mention! Sorry!), ALL THE CHRISTMAS COLORS cowl, Viajante, Chris’s Birthday Socks (which may now become his Christmas socks), Mama Vertebrae, BFL pencil roving from HilltopCloud on the Hansen started at spinning guild and may end up being a long term project… there’s a lot of it!
Out And About:
Fiber in the Boro in Murfreesboro TN on November 1 at the Lane Agricultural Park, podcaster meetup at 2pmCT (all are welcome!)
What Do You Want To Hear About:
From KarenCreates: suggestions about picking out a first wheel? Episode 31 Wheels Loved & Lost, my history with wheels and advice (eBags Crew Cooler II)
From kabang: suggestions for patterns for handspun? my queue’s handspun tag. Also, do I spin for specific projects? Yes, on occasion.
From KuntzKnit: how to measure the yardage for handspun? niddy noddy or skeinwinder, wash before measuring final yardage, DO NOT WEIGHT THE YARN.
From cperrine: taking care of hand dyed yarn? my opinion on washing, why certain yarns fade, etc. Also… I didn’t realize this ‘controversy’ about hand dyed yarns that bleed was going on in other places on Ravelry when I chose to respond to the question that was asked in the WDYWTHA thread, and what I said wasn’t directed at anyone or meant to claim a side. I just presented my response as I see it, based on my own 8+ years as an indie dyer and 9+ years as a knitter of hand dyed yarns.
- the SillyFru shop update: $225 got donated to her medical fund thanks to YOU!
- one more shop update, next Tuesday 10/21 at 4pmET, and then no more updates til 11/11 so that I can focus on FITB and resting afterward.
- new patterns coming out for UYC’s booth at FITB! Nell Ziroli’s Hexes & Ohs, Emily Estrada’s Moorish Arches, Emma Galati’s March Hare. Kits will be available in the shop after FITB is over, and the patterns will be available on Ravelry for purchase after the show as well!
Hello everyone! This is a special announcement episode with Dana and CaffeinatedGert of the CaffeinatedKnitting Podcast.
On Monday 10/6/14 CaffeinatedGert will be releasing the Inverness patterns and Inverness eBook on Ravelry for purchase. From 10/6-10/12/14, 50% of the proceeds of sales from the patterns will be donated to SillyFru’s medical fund.
Inverness Diamonds eBook (ebook includes the fair isle version as a bonus pattern!)
Dana is doing a huge shop update on Tuesday 10/7/14 at 4pmET with all of the yarns used for the cowl, mitts & hat patterns, as well as a large selection of her new SuperBulky base. 10% of all sales from 12:01amET to 11:59pmET (including already-listed items, not just new items from the update) will go to SillyFru’s medical fund. You can find Dana’s shop here. The update items will be put up in preview mode on Monday night or Tuesday morning if you’d like a sneak peek.
There will be a KAL for all of the Inverness Diamonds patterns in the Unwind Yarn Company group on Ravelry. You can find the chatter thread here, and the FO thread here. The KAL runs from 10/6-11/30, and the only requirements are that you use Unwind Yarn Company yarn and one of the Inverness Diamonds patterns (the yarn can be handspun out of UYC fiber, or stash yarn- it doesn’t have to be purchased in the update). We hope you will join us!