Thank you for joining us for episode 128 of Just One More Row! This episode is brought to you by Unwind Yarn Company and Unwind In Stitches!
Just One More Craft:
Dana: my sewing table will be here 5/16! So excited to finally have a “setup” so I can sew! Reading How To Be A Tudor and the Dresden Files series.
Brittany: reading a lot (Me Before You)
- CSC Winner: we are redrawing for the Fab Funky Fibres set. The winner of that set is now cecileinindiana. Congrats Cecile! Email us with your address so we can ship your yarn!
- Unwind Yarn Company shop news: I’ll be listing a few things this week including some handspun and new sock blanks! I also have a collaboration coming starting June 6 with Suburban Stitcher and you guys do NOT want to miss it!! Also I am currently taking a few limited custom order spots for my remaining fiber stock. The amounts I have left and the process for ordering are in this post.
- I have a new shop- Unwind In Stitches! This shop will focus on embroidery pieces including hoop framed pieces and AWESOME handstitched necklaces! I plan to put up the first few pieces at the end of this week, so I hope you’ll stop by! unwindinstitches.etsy.com New IG account: @unwind_in_stitches
Thank you for joining us for episode 127 of Just One More Row! This episode is brought to you by Unwind Yarn Company.
Just One More Craft:
Dana: embroidery kits from MiniatureRhino (“M”, Pisces constellation, “D”, alphabet sampler), with more on order from TamarNahirYanai, freehanded another piece based on “Guess How Much I Love You”. (HercyBercy) Also I got a sewing machine from a friend and am looking forward to starting to learn to sew!
Brittany: just practicing sewing on some 18″ doll clothes!
- CSC Winners: All winners please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and give us your Ravelry name, and if you won a mailable prize, give us your real name and mailing address. Thanks to everyone for playing along!🙂
- UYC shop news: I just did an “Old Favorites” update, and there are still a bunch of new skeins in the shop for you to peruse! I did a poll on Instagram about what people wanted to see, and dyed based on that list! Who knows- maybe something you’ve always wanted is in the shop right now!
Thank you for joining us for episode 126 of Just One More Row! This episode is brought to you by Unwind Yarn Company. Stay tuned til our announcements for a special listener-only coupon code!
- CSC Winners: 2 Tangled Skeins bag and dpn holder: ceylangul; Fab Funky Fibres set: ahubbard; KnitSpot pattern donated by a listener: roocmc; set of miniskeins from UYC: grapesamongmelons; choice of $7 pattern: cinderga; choice of $7 pattern: phoenixfire; choice of $7 pattern: lanois; choice of $7 pattern: lspearl; sock blank from UYC donated by a listener: steviebee. All winners please email us at email@example.com and give us your Ravelry name, and if you won a mailable prize, give us your real name and mailing address. Thanks to everyone for playing along!🙂
- There are still 5 spots available for Into The Wool, as of recording! Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re late hearing this and want to come. Don’t miss out on your chance to join us- it’s going to be an incredible weekend of fibery fun!
- UYC shop news: Until March 31 at midnight ET, JOMR listeners can take 15% off any purchase of ready-to-ship items in the shop by entering the coupon code mentioned in the episode at checkout. (sorry about not being able to use it on custom orders, but you understand!)
Thank you for joining us for episode 125 of Just One More Row! This episode is brought to you by Unwind Yarn Company. Stay tuned til our announcements for a special listener-only coupon code!
Out & About:
We’re going to Rhinebeck! We’re looking for advice from people who have been before: what shouldn’t we miss? Any insider tips about when to visit certain things? Good food in the area? Area attractions we shouldn’t miss? We’ve started a special thread on Ravelry to discuss in, and you can find it here.
New In The Queue:
Dana: Dutchess by Cheryl Burke (5GBP, approx $7.36US as of recording- Ravelry download), Aurys by Svetlana Volkova ($6.50 Ravelry download)
Brittany: Messenger Shawl by Stephanie Shiman ($5 Ravelry download)
- The CSC is almost over! You have until March 5 to post your FOs- but the knitting must be done by February 29. Be sure you have your projects listed with a picture each, individual yardage listed with each project, and cumulative yardage in bold at the bottom of your post. If you don’t have your cumulative yardage totaled up for us, we won’t be able to do it for you and you won’t be entered for prizes. Thanks for your understanding!
- There are still 8 spots available for Into The Wool, as of recording! Don’t miss out on your chance to join us- it’s going to be an incredible weekend of fibery fun!
- UYC shop news: I’m dyeing up a bunch of sock blanks and new colorways this weekend! The shop is full of ready to ship items as well as options for you to order the skein of your dreams on any of my bases. There are even miniskein sets available right now! Until March 31 at midnight ET, JOMR listeners can take 15% off any purchase of ready-to-ship items in the shop by entering the coupon code mentioned in the episode at checkout. (sorry about not being able to use it on custom orders!) You can find the shop here.
Thank you for joining us for episode 124! Just One More Row Podcast is sponsored by Unwind Yarn Company. You can find Unwind Yarn Company yarns at unwindyarncompany.com.
New In The Queue:
Dana: State Fair Cardigan by Heather Zoppetti ($5.50 Ravelry download)
Brittany: Waiting for Rain by Silvia Bo Bilvia ($7 CAD Ravelry Download)
Just One More Craft:
Dana: coloring postcards from the Secret Garden postcard book from Johanna Basford (using Staedtler fine line pens), working a little more on the Fibery Friends sampler from Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery
- we had 206 pairs of socks entered in January, not counting Dana’s! You guys ROCKED it! Congrats to our January winner- you’ve been linked in the thread. Keep on knitting guys- we can’t wait to see your February socks!
- keep going with the CSC too! You have until March 5 to post your FOs- but the knitting must be done by February 29.
- signups for Into The Wool 2015 have started, and we have less than 20 spots still available as of recording! Don’t miss your chance to hang out with 100 of your closest friends for a weekend of fibery fun in a gorgeous natural setting! Details are on the Ravelry group here, and signups are here.
- UYC shop news: the shop has gone to mainly dye-to-order. What does this mean? It means you can order a single skein of that colorway you’ve been dying to try, on whatever base you want! There are no minimums. The site says 3-4 weeks to ship, but right now it’s only taking about a week or so. There are also a lot of ready-to-ship items available for immediate purchase if you don’t want to wait. You can see all of the repeatable colorways on the shop blog: unwindyarncompany.wordpress.com, linked alphabetically under the header. You can place your order for whatever colorway you want by selecting the base you want in the shop, then ordering it and filling out the custom order form that is linked in each listing. It’s very easy and you’ll get exactly what you want!
Thank you for joining us for episode 123- happy 2016, everyone! Just One More Row Podcast is sponsored by Unwind Yarn Company. You can find Unwind Yarn Company yarns at unwindyarncompany.com.
Just One More Craft:
Dana: Fibery Friends cross stitch sampler from Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery, with plans to do The 2016 Pumpkin Passport (Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery) and Blackwork Fun (Seba Designs); finished two Christmas ornaments from Red Gate Stitchery; Mason Dixon Coloring Book For Knitters,
Brittany: Enchanted Forest Postcards, Secret Garden Postcards; Creative Bug Daily Drawing Challenge
- 12 pairs of socks in 2016
- use up some of my kits: Wild Thing, Velveteen Rabbit, Aranami, Prairie Leaf Vest
- use some “collection yarn”- I have several dyers that I tend to collect (but not use) their yarn, so in order to actually use up some of it, I’m doing this: if I have more than 2 skeins from a dyer, and I haven’t knit any of their yarn in the past 12 months, I have to use at least 1 skein of it in 2016.
- finish 8 blanket squares a month for a total of 96 for the year (as long as I reach 96 some way or another, I’m good)
- keep current habit of checking library for a pattern before buying a new one (unless I HAVE to have it…)
- CTA Spin The Bin- 8oz a month
- finish one thing a month- not project, just thing!
- make the time to knit
- be more present with my knitting friends
- A gentle reminder about both 12 in 16 and Clean Slate Challenge- be sure you’re putting your pictures in when you post about finishing something!
- You can double dip with our KALs and others’ too- and there are lots of sock KALs and WIP KALs that have been talked about online lately, so do a search!
- Prize Winners for Ply magazine subscription! HeyJenRay and Marybeth1199- Congrats!
Hi, and thank you for joining us for episode 122 of Just One More Row!
Housekeeping: Changes Coming To JOMR
- only recording every 3 weeks or so, so we both have childcare and can concentrate on the recording
- not doing CIJ this year
- UYC only sponsor going forward
- we are going to attempt to have most prizes be pattern downloads so we can cut down on shipping costs (speaking of which, if you want to donate please email us! email@example.com)
Dana: Tube Socks for Madelyn, 14 mitered squares on the blanket now!, Loop bump in Madrid (418yds, nply fingering weight)
2015 Wrap Up:
- knit a total of 7 sweaters for Madelyn before she gets here (definitely did this! Sprinkle Cardigan, Prim Little Layer Cake, Rocketry Baby Cardigan, Madelyn’s Bag Lady Sweater, Entrechat, Quaintly, Newborn Entrechat) (plus Small Things and Anders in the second half of the year)
- make up “project club” kits: yarn (or a note of what yarn to buy for a project), pattern notes, plus needles into a project bag and pick one per month (or pick a new one whenever I finish one) (nope!)
- try to keep ahead on gift knits: socks for Chris and Mom, etc. (well… didn’t do so hot on this one, because I’m still attempting to finish Christmas gifts…)
- attempt to keep to a “two out, one in” buying plan with yarn- I don’t want to deny myself treats, but I do need to work through some stash! (haha NO, not in the second half of the year!)
- replace old knitting needles as I can afford to with better ones (ie. get rid of Brittany dpns and replace with Karbonz since the Brittanys are starting to splinter) (did great!)
- shop at my LYS first before buying online if I can, especially for commercial yarns. (yep! definitely supported them this year, between personal shopping and buying prizes for ITW!)
- Stop worrying about stash- knit what makes me happy!
- Finish or Frog- I’m sick of looking at old wips! Try to take care of one before I can start something new- Sunk Cost Fallacy and how it applies to WIPs
- Make Rolling Rock using oldest stash yarn I own!
- Find other interesting things to do with sock yarn
- Try something new this year
Upcoming: 12 in 16!
- the yarn can be a brand new purchase, or it can be stash- it’s totally up to you.
- a pair of socks must be adult-sized to count.
- if you’d prefer to knit children’s socks, you must knit at least 2 pairs to equal a pair of adult socks (using at least 50g of
- some months will have a theme, such as “lace patterns”, “a pattern that has been knit less than 500 times”, or “use self-striping”, and there will even be a few “WIP months” where you can finish a pair of socks you already have on the needles. Other months will be up to your discretion what kind of socks you want to knit. See the bottom of this post for the schedule!
- you MUST cast on the sock and finish it within the same month- ie., cast on January 1 and finish by January 31, and so on- unless it is a special “WIP month”- and those months are listed on the schedule below! If you don’t have a WIP for that month, feel free to cast on something new!
- everyone who finishes a pair of socks in a given month will be listed in a spreadsheet, and I will use the Random Number Generator to choose someone who will win a downloadable pattern! (If you did not finish a pair of socks the previous month, that’s ok! I understand that some people won’t see this until it’s been underway for a while!)
- at the end of the year, everyone who has completed a pair of socks for all 12 months (following the special prompts too, of course!) will be entered to win a VERY special prize pack. I will enter everyone that has completed the KAL into a spreadsheet and use the RNG to pick the winner!
- ankle socks are fine, as long as they are adult sized socks- 50g of yarn or more if they’re fingering weight.
- worsted weight socks are also fine, as long as they are adult-sized.
- post your FO in a new post every month- I’ll keep up with the spreadsheet, don’t worry!
- feel free to chatter in the thread too.
- tag your projects JOMR12IN16 on Instagram and Ravelry.
- last but not least: if you have to ask, the answer is no. We want this to be fun, not stressful, and we put a lot of time into thinking about the guidelines. So if what you’re wondering isn’t covered here, just assume our answer will be no and amend your plans. Thanks in advance for helping us keep this simple and fun!!
2016 “Sock Schedule”
January: finish up a WIP if you want!
February: pair of your choice
March: pick a pattern that has been knit 500 times or less
April: pair of your choice
May: finish up a WIP if you want!
June: pair of your choice
July: pick a pattern that features lace
August: knit some ankle socks!
September: pick a pattern that features a technique you’ve never used- and tell me why you picked it in your FO post!
October: finish up a WIP if you want!
November: use some self-striping yarn!
December: pick a pattern of your choice
Upcoming: Clean Slate Challenge!
Clean Slate Challenge Rules:
- The only hard and fast rule is that it has to be stash yarn or fiber that is at least 3 months old.
- We will have a thread for you to “claim your place” starting January 1, & a chatter thread where all chatter about the CSC should go. You will have one post in the FO thread & will be responsible for updating it with every item or yarn you finish. In order for an entry to count, you MUST photograph it to prove that it’s finished & post the picture on your FO thread post. Other than that, everyone is on the honor system.
- Every 1500yds you knit down or spin out of fiber from stash equals one entry into a drawing for a prize. WIPs count, but the yarn used has to meet the 3-months-old criteria.
- The Challenge will run from January 1- February 28, the FO thread will be locked down on March 5, & the drawing for prizes will be done on the mid-March episode of the podcast.
- Please be sure to add up your own yardage in a cumulative total at the bottom of your post, in bold. We don’t have time to add all of these up for you since we have so many participants. Also, please be sure you are keeping up with your YARDAGE instead of METERAGE. Once again, we won’t have time to do calculations for you to convert meters to yards.
- You can double dip with other podcast KAL/SALs.
- Please tag your projects or yarns with CSC2016 (this tag will also work for Instagram!).
- You have to be a member of this group to win a prize.
And some FAQs from both last year and this year:
- Can I count my WIPs? Yes, as long as the yarn used is at least 3 months old.
- Do I count only the yardage that I knit starting January 1 on WIPs, or can I count the whole yardage when it’s finished? Total yardage can be counted.
- If I’m spinning, can I count the singles yardage, or just the plied yardage? Plan to leave the yarn as singles = singles yardage; plan to ply = only plied yardage. It wouldn’t be fair to count the yardage from singles AND plied yarn, since we’re putting entries into a prize drawing for every 1500 yards finished.
- Can we do smaller projects to add up to 1500 yards? Absolutely! You can do that as many times as you like. Each time you hit an additional 1500 you get another entry!
- When knitting with handspun, does it need to have been in the fiber stash for more than three months, or spun up into yarn for more than three months? Since the challenge is about getting rid of stash that has been sitting for a while, knitting with handspun will count as long as it has been spun (finished) yarn for at least 3 months.
- Can I crochet my yardage? Yes.
- Can I weave my yardage? We have decided not to allow weaving since the time commitment isn’t the same as it would be with knitting, spinning, or crochet. Sorry.
- I’m using my yarn doubled. How do I count that? Yardage is yardage. If you’re using two 400yd skeins held together, then you count 800yds.
- I just have finishing work left on a piece; can I count the yardage on the whole piece after I finish? If all the knitting is done prior to the start of the challenge, then no. Sorry.
- I got near the end of my project and realized that I needed more yarn, so I had to buy one extra skein/ball. Can I count the whole yardage? No. Any yarn bought after September 30, 2015 WILL NOT COUNT toward your yardage. You can count the yarn in the project bought before that date, but NOT after. Please be sure the yardage total accurately reflects what yarn you used that counts, & DO NOT put the new yarn’s yardage in!!
- I am knitting a large number of projects that are all the same, and they’re all combined into one project page. I started them before the challenge, but plan to knit more during the challenge. How much of the yardage can I count? Since the projects could potentially be listed as separate project pages, we ask that you only count what you’ve knit during the challenge.
Review: PLY Magazine
Prize: a year’s subscription to PLY! Answer in the contest thread in our group on Ravelry by 12/28 at 1pmCT. Regular contest rules apply.
- Into The Wool vendors will be announced in the ITW group on January 20, and signups will begin on February 1 at 3pmET. There are a total of 89 spots available, and once those are gone we will go to a waitlist. One thing is different this year: the entire $280 attendance fee will be due by 3/31- we are not taking payments anymore. Plan ahead if you want to attend! Email with questions firstname.lastname@example.org !
- Unwind Yarn Company and WhimzeeStitches Designs have collaborated on the Mariposa Kit! Get your choice of wedge or drawstring bag from Rick and Touring DK or Journey Sock from Dana for $51 plus shipping! Preorders end on 12/19 and the kits will ship by approximately 1/10.
- Unwind’s End of Year SALE will begin on 12/26 and go through 12/31. Enter coupon code ENDOFYEAR to save 25% off your coupon-eligible purchase! (please note that any purchases after 12/27 might take a few extra days to ship since I’m having surgery 12/28)